Tuesday, June 19, 2007

New and Improved Thoughts on the Word, 'Lady.'

For those of you who have been reading my blog since I started it, you may recall my first word of the day entry.
LADY
Lady is a word which I have formed some slightly negative opinions on.Now, however, those opinions have been pushed further in the positive direction.
I have not been called a 'lady' very much. Only older people have called me 'young lady:' in truth, I don't like it very much. It sounds nice, that is given, but for me, I prefer to be called 'young woman,' or simply teenager, even 'geek,' will do. (yes, as strange as it seems, I enjoy being called a geek.)
If my brothers called me a lady, I would be pleased. 'Lady.' not 'young lady.' I only remember one time when I was called a 'lady' by somebody my age, and at first, I didn't' like it, but after thinking it over, I was thrilled.
I have thus revised my opinion on the word 'lady.' I don't think one should pepper their sentences with it, but I think that if used correctly, it sounds great. If used incorrectly or too often, it sounds awkward and even a bit ugly.
If used delicately, casually, carefully, and even jokingly to someone your own age, it sounds good. I like being called a lady. Not young lady, lady. I like it, even though I have never thought of myself as one. When a friend of mine jokingly called me a lady, it made me think. It sounded nice! I still don't necessarily consider it a cut of poetry, but shall we a say, a gem in everyday words; a diamond in the crown of feminine synonyms and colloquies.
Anna Elizabeth Hedges

No comments: