Friday, June 22, 2007

Psychological Writing Habits

Hello!
I have been thinking about writing habits and how it may affect writing. I have noticed that when I get in the habit of doing something, then I react when I do it different, or something happens to me that reminds of me of something. It doesn't make sense now, but it will once I explain it.
For instance: we drive a long way to church. About an hour and a half up. Several years ago, we would always stop at a gas station along the way, (though now we do not do that) and I would always get one or two cookies and eat them on the last stretch. I noticed that, on the days that we didn't' stop, my stomach would react by growling, because it was used to having those two extra snacks before church.
Another example: Last Christmas, my brother and his wife gave me a CD. I got to where I listened to it all the time; after listening to it a couple times, I had developed favorite songs. Every day, the last school subject I do is science. I was studying about bugs. I remember that I put my favorite song on repeat, and now, even though I no longer listen to that CD when doing science, even though I am no longer studying bugs, every time I hear that song, it reminds me of praying mantises, learning about how bugs have five eyes sometimes instead of two, how they sense and feel things, and just that area of time this year, and my room, where I studied. It is because it was a habit, a habit I broke and because psychologically, that song is to me, associated with bugs.
I got to thinking. If we are writing a certain book, article, or story, then there are several ways to help us get into it. We can listen to a certain song, or wear certain kinds of clothes, or drink our favorite drink, wear a certain kind of shoes....it will make us think about that thing, and it will help us writers get in the writing mode. I mean that if writers develop writing habits, it may be that their minds and bodies will adjust to it, and at that certain time of day, when they are wearing that particular outfit, when they drink that particular beverage, their mind will react by wanting to write and getting into the writing mode. Habits really help. Many people eat breakfast every morning. If they skip it, their stomach growls. Many people don't eat breakfast, so they don't get hungry until lunch time. If they eat breakfast, the might be full at lunch and not as hungry. I depends on each person. There are even ways to get out of the writing mode. I know that writers reward themselves when they are done with their writing time. They might kick back and watch a movie, go for a walk, eat some very expensive chocolate imported from France, or take a nap. It becomes routine, and our minds and bodies adjust to routines. That's all I have time for now, but thanks for reading! TTFN.
Anna Elizabeth Hedges


No comments: