Saturday, August 11, 2007

Birthday Books


Hey!
I have only written one blog entry so far this month. Today I am celebrating my 14th birthday, even though I don't actually turn 14 until the 23rd of August. The party officially starts when my brother Andy and his wife Alissa get here. Jason, my second oldest brother (Andy is the youngest) and his wife Shannon, with my nephew Joel and their dog Koda, are already here. I think that we are going to eat lunch, go swimming, open presents, eat cake and ice cream, and probably me and my brothers will pick on each other all day. I know what my parents have gotten for me. They bought six books at Barnes and Noble, six books I picked out, and six books I am dying to read.
Two are by Gail Carson Levine, Fairest and The Wish. I haven't read either of them; but I became a Gail Carson Levine fan when I read Ella Enchanted. I recently reread that and started the Two Princesses of Bamarre. I absolutely love Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg. She has a knew one now: Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand. I am looking forward to reading that one. The other books I got were The Little White Horse....I don't remember the name of the author. It is a fairly popular book though, as I hear it was J.K. Rowling's favorite book as a child. (I haven't actually gotten them yet....but I probably will. Today. I will get them today.) :)
I am also getting the first three books to the Wrinkle in Time quintet by Madeleine L'Engle. She was actually a Christan writer. I don't know if her books have allegories, but her books should be in book stores like Mardels. But, oddly enough. L'Engle's books are only known to secular readers. I mean generally. A lot of Christans shop in Barnes and Noble, but the books are only sold in secular book stores as far as I know. The first three books to the quintet are called A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I am very eager to read all of them. I think she must have a fascination with feathers and hooves, because it seems as if all of her books have flying horse type creatures or black birds. But I haven't read it yet. I am guessing from the illustrations.
answers.) and I have enjoyed them I have been reading some C.S. Lewis lately; Mostly The Screwtape Letters. It is a very original idea. And I think it is probably affective. Screwtape is a devil who is writing to a novice demon (his nephew, Wormwood) on how to torture, twist and brain wash the human soul. They are humorous at times, (we don't actually read Wormwood's correspondence. Only Screwtape'simmensely. Even though I haven't read very far, It has been a great book. It belongs to Andy, who has read it before me. He highlighted something in nearly every letter, so it has made the book even more enjoyable then it would have been. I really want to read his Space trilogy (Lewis's, not Screwtape's. :)) My brother Brian read the second one and said that it was better than Lord of the Rings. That is really saying something. Brian loves Lord of the Rings. Period. Perelandra....it sounds interesting. Andy read it and said he didn't like it....but he doesn't like Lord of the Rings either. Well, I'll sign off for now. I might come back later...I don't know. I have bored you enough with the books I have read and the books I am reading. And the books I will read.
Anna Elizabeth Hedges

Hey! I am back. I just thought I would tell the world what else I got for my birthday. Jason and Shannon gave me Ted Dekker's book Black. Andy and Alissa gave me a Nickel Creek CD and a $15 dollar gift card to Barnes and Noble. So I really did have a book birthday. We also went swimming for three hours, which was really fun. :)
Anna Elizabeth Hedges

No comments: