Thursday, August 2, 2007

Hank the Cowdog


It's me again, Hank the...oh that's right, I'm Anna. Not Hank.
Anyway, I just thought I would share some thoughts on Hank the Cowdog, as I have been reading some of the books again. It has been a few years since I have touched one of those....I also enjoy listening to the tapes. After reading so many thicker books since Hank the Cowdog, and learning to recognize good writing by reading so much (and writing so much) I have noticed what a distinctive and creative voice John R. Erickson used for Hank. The way Hank talks reminds me of Jack Sparrow sometimes; wording things in an unnecessarily complicated manner.The writing is incredibly original. Not many authors have such distinctive voices and writing styles like that. I have also noticed that, when reading Hank the Cowdog, it is just like being in Hank's head, even if he is telling a story to us. I can practically see his train of thought. I think that Erickson captured a dog's personality very well. Although many dogs aren't as vain, I think it depends on the dog. I have never owned a cowdog, so I wouldn't know. Anyway, Loper and Slim aren't always very nice to Hank and Drover, so...it's possible that if the owners don't appreciate the Head of Ranch Security, he might think he is in charge of everything, and then he would be a bit vain. So there. I stand in defence of Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security.

"...Pete came along just then and ruined my dream by slapping my tail with his paw. Why does he do such things? Well, he's a cat and cats get some kind of twisted pleasure out of tormenting things, such as birds, lizards, mice, and dog tails."
-John R. Erickson, Hank the Cowdog and The Case of the Kidnapped Collie.

"...As I recall the scene, I was reclined on my gunny sack bad, hovering in the twilight zone between watchfulness and more or less complete oblivion. In other words, although my more critical faculties were pretty muchly in neutral, I continued to monitor all sounds and earatory data in the Ready Room of my mind."
-John R. Erickson, Hank the Cowdog and The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob.

I am sorry that this is still bold face. I don't know how to get rid of it. It won't go away, so I changed the color of the words to let you know that this is no longer Hank the Cowdog speaking. I think the two above quotes speak for themselves. I am sure all the Hank the Cowdog books are available on Amazon.com,. and you can visit the website hankthecowdog.com for more Hank stuff and updates and all that. Thanks so much for reading!
Anna Elizabeth Hedges


No comments: