Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Little White Horse


A few weeks ago, I started and finished The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. It was a pretty good little book....but not the best. You can really tell that it was written by a woman. I think she intended it for females. I really don't think that most guys would care for it....although it is creative. A dog that turns out to be a lion was perhaps one of my favorite animal characters in the book, except for Serena a silver hair. I didn't like some of the theology in it, although I am not sure if she meant anything in particular by it. It had a kind of flavor that reminded me of L.M. Montgomery, who is one of the best female writers I know of. The Little White Horse was only sighted a few times in the book. I was disappointed when I found that Wrolf was a lion, not a dog, so I decided that he must be a different creature all together. He was described so many times as a dog; and I honestly think that one would notice if their dog were a lion or not. It had a nice little romance going on, quite innocent and very amusing. Three couples that had broken up or not seen each other for a long time ended up getting married. I would say that is worth reading, possibly buying. It wasn't the best book, but I did enjoy it. It is about a 13 year old named Maria; thus the girlish things mentioned throughout the book that I am not sure would really take place. A boy of the same age doing flower arrangements for his future bride?
Good, but not great. Girls will enjoy it, moms will probably think it is amusing...inbetweens, you'll have to decide for yourself. I will also say this: the book isn't as enchanting as it looks. Don't judge this book by its cover. 2 stars.
Anna Elizabeth Hedges

No comments: