Monday, September 3, 2007

The Miraculous Journy of Edward Tulane


On Saturday, we went to our Hastings on 50th street and I got several books because they are going out of business and all the books are 50% off. One of those was The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I read the first four chapters in about fifteen minutes Saturday night and read the rest of them Sunday morning on our way to church.

Here is what I thought of it:
Kids 6 and up: this is a book worth reading, although I don't know about buying. Perhaps. Adults: Read it to your kids, but don't waste an hour reading it for yourself.
It starts out with Edward, who is a very distinguished china rabbit with a lovely gold pocket watch and nice trousers and vests and suits. He is loved deeply by a girl named Abilene Tulane, and noticed often by her grandmother, Pellegrina. I think the moral of the story was to love. I thought it was a bit ridiculous. Edward didn't love Abilene, but Abilene loved him, as any child will learn to love their childhood friends. Edward was a bit like a pet or sibling to Abilene. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to have a rabbit that was so proud of himself that he refused to truly love Abilene. Every story I have read or browsed through about toys had the toys at least feeling some attachment to their owners. I think the Velveteen Rabbit did perhaps love the little boy, but he wanted more to be a real rabbit. It was too long ago. I can't remember. In some ways, Edward Tulane was quite a charming story. Edward ends up being separated from Abilene and meeting lots of new owners who he ends up loving. For nearly a year, Edward is trapped on the bottom of the sea, and being a china rabbit, he cannot drown or truly die. Being at the bottom of the ocean is just and only miserable and frightening to him. He ends up with a sailor and his wife, whom he learns to love. The next pair is even better. A dog finds him at takes him to her hobo-owner, who decides that he likes the rabbit and talks to it as if he could answer. His journey and the people he learns to love is charming and sweet, perhaps, the ending fine enough, but I think that the reason for Edward's hardship was a bit ridiculous. I won't tell all here, you might decide it's worth reading. I give it 2 stars, but I do think it was worth reading once and knowing what it was about. You never know about Kate DiCamillo. Because of Winn-Dixie was her best book I think; The Tale of Desperaux was good too. Those are her two best books. I have not read the Mercy Watson books, but they look a bit corny to me. The Tiger Rising was creative but it was also terrible. Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tale of Desperaux would have to earn at least 4 stars. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, though both charming and creative, was good, but not good enough. I will mention the illustrations in it. They were pretty and well done. Without illustrations, the story might not be worth reading. Some people will love Edward Tulane; others will despise it. Decide for yourself. It is worth reading, but I don't recommend buying it. At least I got my copy half off. I wish it had been Desperaux instead. :)
Anna Elizabeth Hedges

No comments: