Monday, September 24, 2007

The Time Quintet, Part 1


Yesterday I started and finished this book, A Wrinkle in Time. I have heard that a Christan wrote it, I have also heard people say that it could not possibly be Christan. I think it was, at least to an extent. I'm not going to get into the world-view stuff. I'll just say what I think of the book.

1) The characters are well-written, even though I thought Meg was a bit typical. I didn't like how she was impatient all the time and how she blamed her father for everything; it seems like every body writes characters like that. Charles Wallace was charming, and Calvin was great. Mr. and Mrs. Murry were good too. I was a little disappointed in Mrs. Which, who I expected greater things from, and I thought that Mrs. Who should be able to make her own sentences. :) Personal opinion. Mrs. Whatsit was fine, though I admit I liked her a little better as the centaur.
2) The plot was fine. I knew everything would be alright in the end, but I wanted to know how. The romantic thread in it was great. Calvin and Meg are perfect for each other.
3) It was very creative, and it followed science to a certain point. Everything had at least a sort of information. I enjoyed the visits to the other planets, and I actually found the dog, Fortinbras, quite enchanting, though I think he could have played a much bigger part.
4) I think she could have made it longer. The whole story takes place in 12 chapters. That isn't very long. Like I said, I finished it yesterday, and started it yesterday. So I think it could have been a bit longer, as the visits to the planets only took one chapter, with the exception of Camazotz.

Overall, though, it was a good book. Although the suspense in it could have been much better, despite the whimsical quality to the story, I could tell when these people were in trouble and desperate. The book is fun and a must-read for kiddos. Adults will find it amusing and fun, I think, and I enjoyed reading it. It had a coziness about it, like it would be good nighttime reading with a cup of cocoa, or a good rainy-day read.

No comments: