Monday, October 29, 2007

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo


Hullo!
I finished reading Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye yesterday. I was impressed and happy with it. It was very creative, full of new and interesting metaphors, and the characters were well-written. I'll give it four stars, four because it was good, minus the five for crooked world-views.
Every chapter put a great deal of emphasis on 'fate' the force that controled every thing. It basically has Star Wars type views: "May the force be with you...."
My favorite character was Clover Earnest, a little cat/elf like creature called a sycophant. He's the thing on the back of Leven Thumps. I like the drawings of Leven. They look like he would. The drawings in it were good...my favorite was one of Clover. :D
Anyway, the plot centers around Leven, Winter, Clover, Geth (a tree turned toothpick) and Sabine, the villain.
Sabine was a good villain. I thought he could have been better, actually...I was not scared of him. Sauron is pure evil, and he is scary. These days I don't know if I like J.K. Rowling or not, but I have to admit that Voldemort is one of the best villains every created, and absolutely scary.
Tash was also a scary villain, as was the White Witch, but I wasn't really scared of them. Tash was just.....Tash. Tash was ugly.
Sabine was a good villain, but I wasn't really, incredibly scared of him. The scarier the villains, the better. Or the more threatening, or whatever.
The story goal is to find Geth, and then to get to the Gateway and destroy the entrance into Foo. Foo is the world of dreams, and if the Gateway is not destroyed, Sabine will let out the inhabitants of Foo and the dreams of the human race will be destroyed, along with hope. Read the book...it keeps you interested.
Anna

3 comments:

historygeek said...

No wonder he left his home it was in Okieland wasnt it. Those jerks are nuts! cool post!

Anna Elizabeth Hedges said...

Actually, it was in Oklahoma. Well-spotted! He was better off in Foo, when he got there. I really enjoyed this book.
Anna

dafilesofmoi said...

hey. This book sounds coolio. ta-ta.