Friday, November 23, 2007

The Fellowship of the Ring


Well, I recently finished reading the Fellowship for the second time. I was once again impressed, and I'm sure it won't be the last time. This is one of the greatest books ever written, perhaps the greatest fantasy epic that ever was. I began it probably a month ago, and read in it off and on, never really committing myself. A few weeks ago, I absolutely began reading it, and I couldn't stop. I couldn't shift my attention to any other book. I flew through it, and, since I have matured a bit in my reading since the last time I read this one, I enjoyed it even more than the last time, and I found that my attention did not wander hardly at all when I was reading it, as it often did when I read it for the first time.
I see each character differently, and I particularly enjoyed the beginning parts in the Shire, and just out. I also enjoyed all the poems much more than I did last time, and find that Tolkien has another genius besides prose, even though I suppose that wasn't his specialty. Those were some of the highlights of the book for me, and the chapter 'In the House of Tom Bombadil' was especially enjoyable, as it was full of colorful descriptions and a quiet but yet adventurous rainy-day side of Middle-Earth. It seemed like the sort of adventure I am having right now, thinking about all those tales, writing my modern thoughts on those tales, watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' with my mom and nephew Joel, and every now and then glancing at the tree and admiring all the glowing golden lights. The knowledge of snow outside helps. All those tales of Middle-Earth, like the history...I still haven't read the history of Middle-Earth, but I am planning on it soon, perhaps after Christmas. Back to the point. I am mad at myself for waiting until the last half to start highlighting. I have the movie paperbacks, but I don't have nice copies. My brother has nice copies, which will probably be on my Birthday/Christmas list next year. I would also LOVE to get the original copies that J.R.R. Tolkien designed himself. (So if anybody has those original copies, please tell me, if they're willing to part with them.) Rereading the Fellowship, I found several passages which I had completely forgotten, which were clues as to Tolkien's Middle-Earth which I had long forgotten, and I'm sure many other readers have forgotten it as well. For now I'll keep those to myself, because I imagine some of my readers would disagree, had they ever read it. But, in any case, they are very interesting, at least to a writer who looks.
The more I find out about Tolkien, and the more I read his works, the more eager I am to read more, more that I haven' t read yet. Their later adventures were wonderful, and I enjoyed reading about the Fellowship. In full, if you haven't read it, read it. If you have, read it again.
Anna
PS That image above is Tolkien's design for the Fellowship. Cool, isn't it?

No comments: