Friday, November 2, 2007

Writing takes a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME....

How many times have I said on this blog that writing is NOT easy? How many times do I find that out again...?
No idea.
I started really writing a few days ago, and at first, everything went well. Writing was pleasure, not chore, I thought I was doing well. I was wrong. I find that I keep starting before I am ready. The plot, in my opinion isn't stable. WHY?
How long is this going to take....? It took Tolkien Ten years to write the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
I wonder how long it took him to write the first one? I have been working on this book for over a year now. You know how it started, if you read this blog regularly. I think I've said several times how much it has changed, but still, after a year and...(counting on fingers)....six months I am still not ready to begin. It's getting a little bit ridiculous. I keep starting new techniques to help me. My latest is keeping a notebook for each character (though I'm not quite there yet....) and that is going to be hard, believe it or not. Dwalyn is getting more difficult all the time. I don't know her. She's a stranger to me. Almost a perfect stranger. At one point, I was right in touch with her, just enough to write her. At another, I lost it. At the next, I had it AGAIN, and AGAIN I lost it. Dwalyn is playing hard-to-get. In this case, I feel like I have almost no control over how Dwalyn thinks or acts, and she acts in the story as the real Dwalyn wouldn't. I have a first draft of the book already, but what do I do next? I'm starting to grab at a new plan. I'm thinking that I"m going to 'Snowflake' the book and take a ton of notes.
Maybe. When I decide for sure, I'll update the blog. Inklings...you know what we're going to be talking about tomorrow.
Anna

1 comment:

Abby said...

Hey Anna,
I sympathize with you and I agree with you that Dwalyn is playing hard to get and Lee is doing the same thing with me. But I got through scene 5 last night and I feel really great about my book right now except I am having some problems with Lee :)
CAll me tonite
Abby