Monday, December 17, 2007

The Hobbit


In case none of you know this by now, Tolkien is officially my favorite author. I have a confession to make that is really very embarrassing. I have only read one of his books twice, I never finished the Return of the King, and I haven't read anything but The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Don't think the less of me please! I really feel awful about it, and I'm really not joking. However, I can still say that Tolkien is my favorite author, and I am looking forward to reading his other novels and stories and histories and things next year. I just finished The Hobbit for the first time...History Geek, don't you say a word! Or Abby or anybody else that knows this dirty secret either. I feel terrible about it, and again, I cross my heart that I am not joking.
I was enthralled. I think that it was on Saturday that I made up my mind to finish it before my brother got here for Christmas. It's Monday night, and the majority of the reading was done yesterday. I was at chapter seven, and yesterday, on the way to church I began reading Chapter Seven (titled Queer Lodgings) and I could not put it down. I was enthralled. I could not wait to finish it, to hear more about all the talking beasts and the hobbit's adventures with the dwarves and Gandalf, and all the other things that happened in it. The Hobbit is shorter, less like an epic and really not as good as The Lord of the Rings, but it is still a wonderful book. Tolkien fans need to have it in their library. It is quaint and underlined with humor throughout the entire book; along with a delicate sort of mystery that Tolkien wisely kept guarded....the intelligence of beasts and birds. Birds talk, and it becomes obvious that many animals can talk, and there is even a shape shifter or 'skin-changer' as Tolkien calls him, which came as quite the surprise to me. I am no longer too afraid of having talking animals in my books because Tolkien did in his. (Lewis doesn't count, because I rather think he has too many in the Narnia books. I probably prefer Tolkien to Lewis, but it's REALLY close.) Queer Lodgings may have provided me with the most inspiration for my book, but it was still wonderful to read the whole thing. I think that the following chapters are my favorite:

An Unexpected Party

Roast Mutton
Riddles in the Dark

Out of the Frying-Pan and into the Fire
Queer Lodgings
Inside Information

I had a wonderful time reading the Hobbit. I can certainly say five stars without guilt; it encouraged my own writing so much and it provided me with many hours of delight in reading about Bilbo's adventures with the dwarves and Gandalf.
If you haven't read it, than do! Even though it is not the book the Lord of the Rings is, it is definitely worth. (BTW, if you haven't read either The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, start with The Hobbit. If you really want to go overboard. read the Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and then The Lord of the Rings trilogy in order.)
Anna




No comments: