Sunday, December 2, 2007

Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret




I just finished Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret, which may have been better than the first one. In the second book of the Leven Thumps series,we most of the book in Foo, except for when we visit some new characters, and one that was mentioned a few times in the first book. From wens to siids to rants and dreams and gunt, this one was full of new stuff that was quirky and original. It's a flamboyant new fantasy, almost like a less serious version of Harry Potter, but without wizards and witches and wands and witch-craft. This one, like its predecessor, puts a ton of emphasis on 'fate' kind of like the 'force' in Star Wars, and 'fate' is a very important part of the book and apparently is what sort of does and decides everything. We all know what the word fate means, and it is used like that in this book. Leven has the power to manipulate fate, and Geth mentions fate half the time when he speaks.

I was really impressed with this one; probably more than the first one, even. Clover comes back strong and funny and sweet, just like the first time, and Geth is restored to human form, which I found that I liked and believed when it happened. The illustrations were interesting, and I think my favorite was actually the one of Geth as a human.

I think that Obert Skye is a good writer, and I am really looking forward to his other books and the rest of the Leven series. The writing is simple and easy to follow, and he uses new and surprising metaphors. He is very imaginative, and good at creating wretched creatures. (this is a hard thing to do; at least it is for me) and he is fairly good at creating evil, although I don't cringe when I think of the villains. Ezra, a new character, was almost humorous, Jamoon didn't seem threating, and neither did Sabine. All of them together are far more intimidating than just one by himself. (I don't know of any female villains as of yet.) If you enjoyed reading the first Leven book, and if you like gooey things (I think Obert Skye must have a fascination with mucas and things that are gooey) than this is a good book. Even though I liked it a whole lot, I'm gonna give it four stars on my five star rating system, just because I think it's a good book, but it could have been better. This was a great book, imaginative, flamboyant, funky, and it was definitely fantasy, perhaps reminiscent of Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket.

In case you are wondering about the Whispered Secret in the title, well...you're just going to have to read the book to find out!
Anna

No comments: