Friday, December 7, 2007

Little Women


This is another Christmas movie that we have watched this year. Of course, this isn't strictly a Christmas movie, but it begins at Christmas, and later in the movie there is a Christmas, in which Mr. March comes home. The music alone in this movie was absolutely amazing; I've always enjoyed it, ever since I actually watched it all the way through many years ago. I think the best part of the movie is from the beginning up until the second Christmas. I didn't much like the last half, when Jo grows up. I just noticed the other day when we watched it that Frederick was criticizing Jo's fairy, fantasy, and adventure stories. I don't know if I like that. My consolation, though, is that Frederick said that "There is nothing in here of the woman that I am privileged to know," meaning that Jo was not writing from her heart as she should have been, or if you like it put this way better, that she wasn't writing the stories for herself really, or writing them because she was interested in it; but because she thought those would sell best. Something along those lines anyway. I would be disappointed, though if I found that some people don't think fantasy is a worthy genre of literature.

I like the beginning best because there are no complications of love, only late childhood, as it were, and Jo making up her stories and them hanging out in the attic acting them out. I also don't think I much like the older Amy. I prefer Kirsten Dunst.
Still, it is a good movie to watch around Christmas, and it is a really good movie with good music and good acting.
Anna

I haven't read the book, but I think I'll try to read it sometime next year. I think it's more of a Winter book, not a Christmas one. :)

No comments: