Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Nixie's Song


I just read a borrowed copy of The Nixie's Song today. I've read the first two of the actual Spiderwick Chronicles and the I have the Field Guide. They're good books. It was a good idea. The Nixie's Song had a lot of appeal because I really like Nixies, although I was disappointed because there actually wasn't a whole lot about Nixies in it. That part of Spiderwick is odd; the books are short, and they're hardback. Most books come out first in hardback nowadays. None of these have ever come out in paperback. The books must be aimed at younger audiences, because it is written in simple language, with little poetry hidden inside. Sorry, Holly Black, but...it ain't literature. Tony Ditirlizzi does of very nice illustrations in the books, which is probably why the books cost as much as they do. $10.99 for one of those. Buy them used. I'm not saying I don't like the book, but I'm just saying that they really aren't the best, considering that they are so short. I always feel like she ends them as soon as the point of the whole story is even revealed. But, that must be because of the age it is targeted at. I am really excited about the movie, and it looks like it will capture the theme of the book well. I like Freddie Highmore. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Spiderwick Chronicles before I see the movie, though, and as always, read the books before you see the movie. I just recommend it. Sometimes, as with Eragon, it would have been better to see the movie first, but most books are better than the movie. No comments on Spiderwick yet!
They are good books though, but I would give them something more like three and a half to four stars; not five. However, there is a sense of adventure and the pure wonder of fantasy in it, if you know what you're looking for. Laurie was written well, and seeing Jared Grace a few years later really hit me hard, maybe the hardest of the whole story. I still wish that she had put more Nixie stuff in it though. It is worth reading, because even though books are never what you think they're gonna be, there is usually a little bit of what you wanted there, and it's no different with Spiderwick.
Anna

No comments: