Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bob Dylan: John Wesley Harding


I've decided to start reviewing music on the blog, since I've been listening to a lot these days! Some of you may not know that I am a Bob Dylan fan. I've gotten increasingly interested in him the last few days (don't ask me why) and I plan on reading so biographies soon. I just got done listening to his CD John Wesley Harding.
It's funny...Andy told me it would probably be hard to listen to, until I got used to it, but I enjoyed it a lot from the start. It isn't as good as Highway 61 Revisited, but it has a few songs on it that I really liked. My favorite was The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest, and maybe All Along the Watch Tower.
I think I enjoyed those two the most. I'm new to reviewing music, so sorry this is such a short one....but they may get as long as my book reviews later on!
For hard core Dylan fans, this was a really great CD. For those of you just starting out, I would recommend Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde....possibly Bringing it All Back Home. Those are all around the same time period. This one is so different from all of them. I can't even try to describe the difference. Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 are very surreal, but John Wesley Harding is more bleak and epicish. Okay never mind! You'll understand the difference when you listen to it (if you've heard the other CDs). Highway 61 is mostly electric, and I think Blonde on Blonde is too. John Wesley Harding isn't.
Anna

No comments: