Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Devil and Daniel Webster


I watched this old movie tonight with my family and I really enjoyed it! This is the story of a young farmer that has lots of bad 'luck' if you want to call it that. His wife falls and faints. He is in deep debt, and the only thing he can use to pay that debt is seed which is spilled into a mud puddle by accident. His pig's leg is broken. He is very poor. What can you do?
Trust in God or make a deal with the Devil, I suppose.

The Devil, who calls himself 'Scratch' in New Hampshire, makes a deal with Jabez Stone, to be held for seven years. When the seven years is up, Jabez is defended by Daniel Webster and is released from the deal.

The movie is full of irony and humorous moments, the last being the funniest and perhaps the most uncomfortable when Mr. Scratch is looking in his little book for another person he can devour. He looks up, scratching his chin, and then points at the camera....giving the illusion that he is pointing at YOU. Funny....I was right in the middle of the living room when the movie ended, at right in front of the TV screen. Everyone insisted that he was pointing at me, although my parents were right behind me on the couch. :)

For fans of old black and white movies, such as Arsenic and Old Lace and The Picture of Dorian Grey, this is a good one to add to your list of movies to see.
Anna

1 comment:

John L. said...

Oh yeah we used to watch that one!