Sunday, January 20, 2008

Here There Be Dragons by James A. Owen


Well, I've done it. I've finally found a book that wasn't really worth finishing.
I usually try to finish all of the books I start, generally all of the fiction ones, especially the easy-to-read ones, even if it takes me a long time. Just because the easy-to-read ones are easy to finish, usually.
But guess what? This book was so boring. This guy wrote comic books before....I don't even care for his illustrations. This really doesn't have anything to do with dragons, but dragonships, huge ships with dragon heads on it that have minds of their own. From the beginning, it was long, dull, and I was lost most of the time. Wendigo are lovely monsters, but I wasn't scared of them. They weren't written in a scary way, even though when I learned of them it was kind of creepy. The characters were always on edge. They seemed stereotyped. Jack was wimpy and ungrateful, John meek and unsure, Charles and Avis were both hot-headed. A few of those negative types are good, if written well, but these weren't written well. I'm going to tell you what happens, because you don't want to waste your time reading this. I skipped to the last page and glanced at it, and I was shocked. That's the only reason I even kept reading.
Then I realized; I had read enough at the end to know what happened, and to know how and why. I read enough of the beginning and then I read enough of the end. I knew why it happened, and what happened.
I found out that the characters, Charles, Jack, and John, were Charles Williams, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien (John Ronald Reual Tolkien.....)
This is the first book to the Chronicles of the Imaginerium Geographica. John is chosen as a caretaker for it, and as you continue reading, you find out that many of the greatest authors of all time where caretakers and associates of the Geographica, such as Charles Dickens and James Matthew Barrie. It's only natural that these three should become owners of it.
I will probably finish this someday, but I decided earlier today that I wasn't going to push myself to finish it tonight, and I wasn't going to try to finish it this month. I decided that it wasn't good enough to be made a priority. I don't have a required reading list, unless my own personal goals count as requirement. This year I plan on reading books that I want and need to read, both at the same time, so that I have time for both. Since I don't have to do it for school, I have time for fun reading, and since I don't do fun reading all the time, I have time for reading that will help me (non fiction and old, ancient legends and plays and poems and epics and things).
Here There Be Dragons was bought on my first annual Christmas trip to Barnes and Noble with a friend, but it's too bad that I wasted the ten dollars. At least I got a Tolkien book too.....
So anyway, don't waste your time with this one. It's creative, yes, and sort of interesting....but the characters and the story isn't well written at all. One star. That's the lowest I've ever rated a book so far in my lifetime. The most interesting part was reading the last page, and maybe chapter nine through chapter ten, but then it got boring again.
Anna

6 comments:

John L. said...

Good for you read somthing else!

Anna said...

I might as well tell everybody what I'm reading, since you think all I read is pop. I am reading the Iliad, The Two Towers, Roverandom, J.R.R. Tolkien, A Biography, The Narnian, a book about C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and....I'm about to start Oedipus the King, of Sophocle's Theban Plays. I actually only got two novels for Christmas this year! I thought that was kind of funny.
That's actually not all that I"m reading right now, but I'm about to order two non-fiction books and a fiction book of the best kind....J.R.R. Tolkien. :) Here There Be Dragons was a disappointment.

John L. said...

I think you know that I don't think that you only read pop.

Anna said...

Kidding. I was really disappointed in that book, because I had high expectations for it. What books are you reading right now?
I am planning on reading lots of ancient books, and Brian knows about these really neat ones with the original translation. I'll tell you about them once I know their name...but they're really neat!

coppervale said...

I'm sorry it was such a disappointment. I hope you'll give the next one a look - I think it's quite a bit better than the first.

You ought to love the Illiad, btw. It's an awesome book.

Best regards,

James A. Owen

Anna said...

Ah me.
I didn't know my blog was known to so many people! You surprised me when you posted Coppervale. I do thank you for taking the time. I think you had a creative idea when you wrote Here There Be Dragons, and I think I might like to see about Search of the Red Dragon sometime. I'm sorry that I couldn't say I enjoyed your book, but thank you for taking the time to post on my blog. Having a published author acknowledge it is a huge thrill for me! I am enjoying the Iliad.
Anna
(BTW, one thing I really did like about your book was the ending. I was so surprised and I would never had guessed it if I hadn't skipped to the last page....a frightfully bad habit of mine, I'm afraid. That was really good idea.)