Thursday, January 10, 2008

Warriors: Fire and Ice


I take back whatever I said in the last post. I read Fire and Ice and I was captivated. Fireheart and Graystripe are just grown up, struggling with hard decisions and learning to trust each other. The things I said about the StarClan and The Lion King taste stays, but I'm afraid it's all downhill from there. At times I didn't want to put this one down. Most people like animals and animal stories. Why?

Animals are different to us. I don't know about you, but I light up with interest every time I see a dog or cat or horse or whatever, especially up close. Why is that? Animals can't talk. Animals are part of our everyday lives, like cars. Why are they so neat to us? Well, C.S. Lewis answered that question for me, and sadly, I had never thought about it before. Animals are of interest to us because they are different. They are a different species, a different creature, and to us that is appealing. Reading animal stories is obviously different from being with animals, but we read things because we are interested. I have glanced at these books and wondered if it would be good for a long time, and a few months ago I got Into the Wild for half price when one of our Hasting's was going out of business. Last month (last year, actually) I picked up the second book at the library, planning on having it once I finished the first one.
I think that we like reading animal stories because we're reading about animals, which are different and appealing to us, but we can also relate to the characters. We are meant to feel sorry for Bambi, but we can relate to him. We are inspired and delighted when Simba walks up Pride Rock, but how could we be if we couldn't relate to him? Non-human characters are just as good as human characters because we can relate to them like we can human characters, because they are given some human characteristics.

Fire and Ice kind of reminds me of a few late teenage friends, or maybe even twenty year olds that are just striking out on their own, and they're faced with all the problems of the world for the first time on their own without help. I was distinctly reminded of real human type relationships, like friendship, and Fire and Ice was also full of great twists which pleased my appetite for a good story. Sure, this is pop. I'm not going to say whether it's literature or not, because I like it and to be honest, I don't know if I'm qualified to say or not. The other one may or may not be. I said it wasn't, but I'm taking that back now. All of thirty chapters of Fire and Ice, I was interested and curious. There's even a nice, forbidden romance. It's still for mature readers, but this one gets four stars, not three. If you like cats and beast-fables, than this book is sure to please you purr-fectly. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the pun, even though it is overused. :)
Anna

No comments: