Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Nashville Skyline


I am have now given Nashville Skyline, Bob Dylan's country album, a thorough listening to. At first I didn't like it, but then I decided that whether I did or not I ought to finish listening to it. Like John Wesley Harding, this is rustic and very different from his more bold and rockish albums such as Highway 61 Revisited.
Girl From the North Country, which was first released on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, his second album, is the first song and is sung with Johnny Cash, another legendary figure in American Music. Johnny Cash has a sharp and very deep voice, as opposed to Dylan's high voice which crooned throughout Nashville Skyline. This is unusual for him. I've been listening to these CD's for awhile...I don't know a whole lot about him, but so far my favorite album is Highway 61 Revisited. The second song, Nashville Skyline Rag, is an instrumental.
My other two favorites are 'I Threw It All Away,' and 'Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You.'

Although I didn't like it at first, when I listened to it over several times it grew on me. I don't think I like it quite as well as John Wesley Harding. It also has a poem of sorts on the back of the cover about Bob Dylan that Johnny Cash wrote that is really cool.
Definitely worth listening to if you are a Dylan fan! I don't think I would put any of the songs on this album on my top Dylan songs list....unless it where 'Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You.'
I don't stand by that though, because I'll probably decide that 'I Threw It All Away' is just as good, or decide that I like both of them well enough to put up there with 'Like A Rolling Stone.'
So I'm going to shut up about that.
Thanks for reading! Be patient with me. I'm new to reviewing music.
Anna

2 comments:

Brian said...

Hi Anna-
This is Brian. I just wanted to say that I really liked your idea of writing a quote from a favorite author. If you don't mind, I think I may use that idea on my site, although it will probably be a quote from a book.

Anna said...

No I don't mind at all! I'm flattered that you want to use an idea that I had. I can't remember when I did it, but I found this quote in a C.S. Lewis book of essays and it really stuck out to me. Being a fantasy writer and all, you know...I think he was right. Sure go ahead. I'm curious to see what book and what quote you use...