Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Morning


I've been listening to Dylan's CD New Morning which I LOVE. Andy said it was about as good as Nashville Skyline, but I like it a lot better. Probably as much if not more than John Wesley Harding. It's another really different CD with a completely new style compared to that of his other CDs. It's like a happier version of John Wesley Harding. It isn't country enough to be compared to Nashville Skyline. Like Self Portrait, it has a really fun style to it, but like John Wesley Harding it has a kind of rustic sound. For some reason, it reminds me of O Brother Where Art Thou? the movie....I think I got this image projected to my head of Bob Dylan walking along a cotton field in that time listening to locusts singing.

My favorite songs were:
Day of the Locusts
Sign on the Window
New Morning
If Not For You
Father of Night
Man in Me

I liked all the other ones, and If Dogs Run Free grew on me, but those six were my favorite. So I really, really liked half of the CD and thought the other half was pretty good. This is now on my list of Bob Dylan CDs that I REALLY want. The three I want most right now are John Wesley Harding, Blonde on Blonde, and New Morning.
New Morning was awesome and invigorating.

Can't you feel that sun a-shinin'?

Ground hog runnin' by the country stream
This must be the day that all of my dreams come true

So happy just to be alive

Underneath the sky of blue

On this new morning, new morning

On this new morning with you.


That's a verse from New Morning, the CD's namesake.

Anna

14 comments:

Alissa said...

I really like "If Not For You" as well. And, I think Blonde on Blonde is my favorite album, though I haven't given them all a chance like you have!

Anna said...

I never listened to Blonde on Blonde very closely, but I did like Stuck Inside a Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again. That's a great song! And also....hmm. The one that goes..

EVERYBODY MUST get stoned!

I can't remember its name.

Andy said...

That would be "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35."

Anna said...

Thanks. I had forgotten....that was a good song!

Ben said...

Yeah, I think "New Morning" is a pretty underrated Dylan album. I really like the song, "Man in Me" a lot. I first heard this song on the movie, "The Big Lebowski", and didn't even recognize it as a Dylan song at first. The vocals are distinctively Dylan, but the music was so different from anything by him I had ever heard before.

Blonde on Blonde is also one of my favorite albums. I think Highway 61 Revisited will always be my favorite though.

John L. said...

Andy, if I can't get a straight answer I don't intend to reply. What is the point of listening to Bob Dylan? Do you like the lyrics to his music? If so Why? I am not going to dicuss this with you at all anna. I just want andy to answer these three questions. If I get a straight answer to these questions, I won't talk about Ol' Bob again. I just want to know why.

Anna said...

Fine. You two figure it out. Either way, it won't stop me from listening to Bob Dylan.

Anna said...

Highway 61 Revisited is awesome. I really liked that one.

John L. said...

good for you, by the way I don't want you to stop listening to Ol' Bob. I just want to understand some things about him.

Anna said...

That's fine. Andy is the right person to talk to if you wanna understand Bobby Dylan.

Andy said...

John Lewis,

Ben and I have already asked you to explain your claim that Dylan is anti-American. Why should I answer your questions if you will not answer mine? It seems really inconsistent to demand that I give you a straight answer when you won’t respond to my previous question.

John L. said...

http://library.thinkquest.org/11847/gather/3b.html

This is a link to his bio.

Anna said...

Hmm. I'm not going to say anything about the bio except that to get to it you need to copy and paste the link in your web browser to get to it. I read it, and since I don't know a whole lot about Dylan, considering I haven't researched him much, I don't know how much of that may or may not be accurate. Andy would know, though. john lewis, what are you reading right now?
I just finished Return of the King for the first time.....I hope to read The Odyssey and a Dostyevsky book this summer. What about you?

Andy said...

That's not an official Dylan bio. It appears to be a student article or something. At any rate, it's not very accurate. The most obvious error is that it said Dylan protested the Vietnam War and that is just entirely false.

Interestingly enough, if you do a google search for "Bob Dylan Anti-war", that is the second website that comes up. :-)