Sunday, March 16, 2008

Notes from the Upperground: Till We Have Faces

I just wanted to add a little bit to what I said last night when I was so exhausted....I couldn't wait to post about it, and I knew that if I went to bed then I would just lie there anyway, but I was really to fuzzy-headed to talk about it.

One thing I would like to add is that the title - Till We Have Faces, was originally Bareface. I think that part when Psyche and Orual look exactly the same...when Orual is Psyche (Psyche's husband said...."You also shall be Psyche." ) this may be some kind of concept involving how looking like somebody else (that looks pleasing) will not solve all of your problems. Orual's own face was ugly, but her Psyche face was beautiful. However, it was not her own. (Till we have faces.....)
The point I am trying to get across is the idea that when Orual looked like Psyche, she did not have her own face, and therefore she had a bareface, or no face at all. Her own face, though, was so ugly that she never dared go 'bareface' after she became Queen. She wore a veil, always. Hmm. I'm not sure how to put all of my random thoughts (think of a ball of squirrels....and each of them is a thought related to the next one, and they are all trying to get out of the ball...scampering away....so that when they are laid out they are not in a particular order ((and even if they were it would still be quite random)) because they weren't retrieved and organized in the same order. I know that is an incredibly weird metaphor, but at least it's creative, right?) ....all of my random thoughts together in one place like this correctly.
Hopefully with all of these bunched together, you'll kind of get what I'm saying.
Anna

No comments: