Thursday, March 20, 2008

Self Portrait


I admit that when Andy told me about this one I was dreading listening to it a little bit, but when I finally did, I actually enjoyed it. Lots of people say that this CD is his worst. I think Bob Dylan said something like, "I threw everything at the wall and kept what stuck." about this CD.
I have decided though, that I like this CD a lot....some of the songs on it (that Dylan didn't write) I really enjoyed (that would be the songs Copper Kettle and the Days of 49)
Among the ones that he did write, I thought that Minstrel Boy was fantastic. It's such a fun song!
Quinn the Eskimo was pretty fun too.....and Take a Message to Mary was interesting. Wigwam was cool too.
So, if you aren't real into Bob Dylan, this CD isn't worth it, because it isn't his best. I'm not as serious about him as Andy is, but I might be half way. I'm about to start a bio about him.
If you are a big Bob Dylan fan, definitely get the CD. It was a fun CD with lots of random songs. My favorite was definitely Minstrel Boy. Yesterday I was like singing it in the shower....


"Who's gonna throw that Minstrel Boy a coin? Who's gonna let it roll? Who's gonna throw that Minstrel Boy a coin? Who's gonna let it down easy to save his soul?"

Self Potrait was a good CD if you really like Bob Dylan, and a terrible CD if you don't. Just an alright CD if you think Bob Dylan is just okay.
Anna

9 comments:

Andy said...

And, if you don't like Bob Dylan, you have no musical taste whatsoever so why bother listening to CDs?

Anna said...

That's right Andy.

John L. said...

Thanks Andy, glad to get your musical diagnosis of my taste. I am sorry I don’t appreciate Anti-American music. I guess I am just weird.
Glad you liked it Anna. (no I am not mad at you)

Anna said...

I will let you two work out whether or not Bob Dylan is Anti-American. Everybody is weird. BTW, Bob Dylan never lived in Russia.

John L. said...

Um yeah, I didn't say he did. I did say that another rock star tried to get into russia but was denied. Is that what you were thinking about?

Anna said...

Maybe I got really confused.

Andy said...

John Lewis, on what basis do you claim that Dylan's music is Anti-American?

The somewhat skinny, lanky hurt said...

This is Andy's friend Ben. Great review Anna! Andy told me about your blog and I have really enjoyed reading it so far.
John, I'm also not really sure what you meant by Dylan being un-American. I've listened to quite a bit of Dylan and read interviews, etc with him and have never really heard anything that would lead me to that conclusion. Even during the time that other musicians were protesting Vietnam, he remained pretty silent on political matters. I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong, but what specifically makes him Anti-American?

Anna said...

Thank you Ben! I didn't know you were a Dylan fan.
I also don't understand why Bob Dylan is Anti-American. I don't know as much as Andy and Ben, as I haven't read any books yet, but I'm about to start one.