Saturday, March 15, 2008

Till We Have Faces: Book 2

Well, I finished it.

First, I warn you that I am tired and my brain feels a little fuzzy. I have very little to say about those last chapters.

Thoughts off the top of my head....

I think that it was a great book (of course!) but it is not my favorite of Lewis's. That would be Perelandra.
Also, I remember my brother Brian saying that this book lost him as a teenager, but he read it like ten years later and loved it. I honestly don't know that I love it, but I don't think I'm lost either. I don't understand all of it...it was bitterly bleak, to tell the truth. Their living conditions and the pre-Christian, barbaric world that Glome is set in is (*shrugs*) dirty and seemingly morbid and desolate.
But Lewis portrays this well.
I also love the idea of retelling a myth.
I'm sorry this is so boring but I am tired. :(

Let's see....I did enjoy the part when we hear about all the tasks that Psyche completed. I always like it when Lewis includes a note of some kind at the end...and in my copy he did. Hmm.

Overall, I really liked the book and look forward to reading it again in a few years. The next C.S. Lewis book I read will probably be The Great Divorce or The Four Loves, one I have been wanting to read for some time. I've actually been thinking about re-reading Perelandra, which is definitely by far Lewis's best book.

I must go to bed. I plan on reading finishing The Return of the King and Pride and Prejudice now...I will concentrate on those. Again, my apologies that this last post on TWHF was so dull.

Anna

PS I was experimenting with picture placement, so if the cover pic looks like it's in a funny place, that's why.

No comments: