Friday, March 14, 2008

Till We Have Faces: Chapters 16-21

Okay, I've read another (counting on fingers) six chapters in Till We Have Faces. Let's see what I can dig up about it....

Chapter Sixteen:
Orual returns from visiting Psyche....for the last time in awhile. She avoids telling the Fox everything (knowing that he would scold her for most of it) and then the King breaks his thigh. Psyche starts hearing the noise of the chains as they squeak and rustle in the night. She mistakes it for a girl crying and then she is startled by a stranger in the darkness.

Chapter Seventeen:
Trunia of Phars. As soon as Trunia spoke, I liked him. It might seem weird, but I'm always fond of the bold, ornery, smart-alack characters. Trunia also reminds me of a character that my cousin is writing, (who happens to be my favorite in her book) and so when he spoke those words to Orual ("Softly sweetheart," said a voice. "Take me to the King's threshold,") A man's voice. I think I knew he would be an interesting character. Pity Lewis didn't give him a bigger roll. Actually that dialog is from the end of the sixteenth chapter.

Chapter Seventeen-Eighteen:
Orual decides to fight Argan herself. And it becomes apparent that the King will probably die and Orual will become Queen. There are also some thought-provoking paragraphs on Death, Courage and the act of killing.

"Now, Queen," said he, "this is your first battle."
"And you doubt my courage?"
"Not your courage to be killed, Queen. ABut you've never killed; and this must be a killing matter."
"What then?"
"Why, just this. Women and boys talk easily about killing a man. Yet, believe me, it's a hard thing to do; I mean, the first time. There's something in a man that goes against it."

That's a clip of dialog between Orual and Bardia after she has decided to fight Argan.

Chapter Nineteen:
Some thoughts of Orual's about when she killed Argan:

I have since seen the faces of other men as they began to believe, "This is death." You will know if you have seen it; life more alive than ever, a raging, tortured intensity of life.

In Chapter Twenty, Orual talks about her love for Bardia...she doesn't say that in so many words, but it is obvious that she loves him. She feels privileged to be in his masculine life but upset that she cannot be in his family life too.
Orual also uses the power of the veil to her advantage. Let's face it; we all need eye contact to communicate. We automatically look to somebody's face to talk to them, and nearly always in their eyes. It makes people uncomfortable if they can't look somebody in the eye, or if somebody won't look them in the eye. Orual makes people uncomfortable and hides her face by wearing a veil or a mask all the time. She uses this to make people wonder why she hides her face. This makes Trunia especially curious. He even expresses interest in marrying her, but Orual quickly declines and matches him up with Redival. Also in this chapter, Orual finds that she can no longer bear daily life in routine. I like routines, sometimes. If it's too routine, it gets boring. If you get completely out of a routine, (which, actually, everybody has some kind of routine) than it's harder to function.
Orual decides to do some traveling. She takes Poobi's daughter and Bardia's son with her.


Chapter Twenty-One:
Orual visits several places and towards the end of the chapter they come across a temple. When Orual inquires after it, she finds that this is the Temple of Istra, none other than Psyche! She asks about the story and finds it full of flaws, and then is in a hurry to get back.

I have only four chapters left before I shall finish the book, and then I'll pick another one to start 'commentarying' on. I don't think I had anything to profound to say about 16-21, but I hope you enjoy the few thoughts I had anyway. I'll try to pick out some books for everybody to help me choose from soon!
Anna

No comments: