Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How to Grow a Woman from the Ground


This is the second Chris Thile CD that I've listened to.

I thought it was a good CD, but I think it could have been a lot better. For one thing, the CD was mixed terribly. Half the time I can't even hear what Thile is saying, because the instruments are so loud.
Most of the songs were mediocre as well; they were good songs, but they just didn't capture my interest as well as his songs from Nickel Creek do.
I thought that the cover art and whole layout of the album was cool, though. I thought this album had a sort of nature theme to it...paisley and purple, bees, dirt and blood kind of give you that impression. The best song on the album was definitely its namesake, How to Grow a Woman from the Ground, which was written by Tom Brosseau. I got to see him live when I went to see Nickel Creek (he opened for them) and I have to say that I wasn't impressed. He actually sang How to Grow a Woman there, but at the time I was so bored with him that I didn't listen very closely. He sounds like a woman when he sings, and he didn't have a very good stage presence. Sad, but true.
I think that his song is great, though, so I decided to post a few verses of the song below.

Opened up my almanac
And in my mind I read

"Cut your wrists on the fins of the fish and drain all you can"

So I rolled up my sleeves and then began to draw

Lines just as deep as days are long


I sewed up my wrists and soaked the ground with my blood

Stained up my clothes pretty good and
I turned that dirt to mud

I could not help but close my eyes and lay my body down
Cause I heard it takes forever to grow a woman from the ground

And I bleed for you now and I'm skinny as a rail

I'll be so obliged to keep you nice and warm and safe
O
h, and won't you be so proud of me

Mmm, hmm, hmm
Mmm, hmm, hmm



Isn't that a cool song? That's the last few verses. The rest of the album was good....but just not all that impressive. It was kind of forgettable. It also didn't import well to my laptop, so I only have the first six songs on my iPod. I listened to it in the car, and I'll probably listen to it a few more times before turning it back over to Andy and deleting the first six off my pod.

Wayside was good, The Beekeeper was good, and a few of the slow songs were good. I just think he could have done so much better than this.

Anna

No comments: