Friday, April 11, 2008

Nim's Island


I knew it would be good as soon as I saw the trailer. How could it not be? Abigail Breslin was the little girl and Jodie Foster played an obsessive compulsive writer. Add a wise-cracking character that's only in her head, and it would be worth seeing, right?

Mom and Dad and I went to see Nim's Island on Tuesday. Okay; the movie was a bit forced, and a little corny in some places. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but it was still good. It might be a better one to rent, just because I can't say with a good conscience that it was great. Some of the animals they used looked fake. But maybe it was real. I don't know.
On the good side, the movie was cute, funny, and even though the plot was forced, it was a good idea. I think I had my mind made up to like it when we went to see it. For one thing, how could you get a more creative name than Nim?
And then, the relationship between Nim and her scientist Dad was really sweet. Gerard Butler played two parts: Nim's Dad, Jack, and Alex Rover, the adventurer that talks to Jodie Foster all the time, and he was funny. (Even though in reality, Alexandra Rover (Jodie Foster) is the real Alex Rover and the writer of all of the Alex Rover books.)
That's one reason that I wanted to see the movie so bad. I think that most writers can relate to how their characters talk to them some times, right? I'm not so unsure of myself that Dwalyn or Jack has to pull me out the door to get me to go somewhere, but sometimes I have a conversation with them in my head.
Nim also had a great imagination (like me, of course.. :D ) and there were some parts that were pretty cool when she was imagining stuff, like being in the middle of Alex Rover fighting a bunch of guys blindfolded, or when she was dancing with Indians. That was a good part. There were lots of good parts like that.
The guys from the Buccaneer ship were incredibly corny, but they were kind of funny. They looked like they were trying to be pirates.
I do recommend Nim's Island, but because of the corny moments and forced plot, rent it, don't buy a movie ticket. I thought it was really cute. Plus, I also just really like Abigail Breslin. She's a good actress. I think that its scary that she can do all of that stuff in front of a camera (like crying) and she's two or three years younger than I am. Just goes to show that everybody has a different gift, right?
Anna

14 comments:

John L. said...

The trailer kind of looked didactic. But if we ever go to a movie again we will keep that in mind.
PS I hate Dave Ramsey, he always runs out of money at the end of the month.

John L. said...

Well actualy I think that "Stella Victoria" is a pretty creative name. Nim is creative the first and second and third time, but after that it starts to sound about as creative as bob. But then again thats just me.

Anna said...

I don't like the name Stella. :)

I think Nim is lots more creative than Bob, but then again that's just me. It all depends on how you look at things...I'm pretty sure that's a near direct quote from The Phantom Tollbooth.
Why did you think the trailer was didactic? I thought it looked quite convivial and fun. Actually, I saw the trailer with you, remember? We were watching The Water Horse. That movie was pretty good....but I think Nim's Island is definitely worth seeing. I liked it enough to possibly buy it.

Brian said...

Cool! My mom thought it looked good and wanted to take us to it.

Abby said...

Btw JL, what does Dave Ramsey have to do with Nims island? I like Dave Ramsey.. besides how do you know he runs out of money every month????
I don't like the name Stella either. It sounds like the name of a witch or something and Victoria is the name of an island in Canada.. haha

John L. said...

Hey Anna I was reading the quote by JRR Tolkien. Is he saying that man can perfect himself by writing stories? I know he was Cathlic, but do you believe that?

Anna said...

No, that is not what Tolkien is saying.

Lewis's quote on myths that I mentioned the other day (Myths are lies breathed through silver) is being used in a different context. If myth is being substituted for truth, than it is a lie. Tolkien is saying that myth is a pointer to truth "a splintered fragment of the true light."
So, yes, I do believe that quote.
I really don't want to argue with you about this.

Anna said...

Oh I'm sorry. I just thought of a better way to describe that. I think what Tolkien means by being a splintered fragment of the true light probably also has to do with the world-view of the story. A good example would be Aslan's death and resurrection on the stone table. Lewis did not call it an allegory, but I think he referred to things like that as parallels. I think I've heard that lots of children have been saved because of reading the Narnia stories. I think that's what Tolkien meant.

John L. said...

Indeed only by becoming a 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man ascribe to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall!
Thats a direct quote. it seams to me that he is saying that we can only perfect ourselfs by writing myths.

Anna said...

I think he is saying that by being a sub-creator, we are being like God in the fact that we are creating. But he isn't saying that we can only perfect ourselves by writing myths.

Mikaela said...

wow.. i was just planning to rent it when it comes out anyway... i wonder where they got the idea for the name Nim... 0_o interesting very interesting. :]

Anna said...

It's worth a rent, but not a movie ticket. I'm going to post your awesome new blog in links soon Mike! I've been waiting forEVER...and I've just been thinking...okay, when is this girl going to get a blog to post funky stuff for me to read? SHE"S FINALLY DONE IT!!! YAY!!!!

Lauren said...

John, since everything in the world has a special touch from God, including our creativity, I think that stories would naturally have some quality that leads us to God, but fantasy is not meant to be taken as the whole truth, just a reflection of it. Although it might be stained with some of our sinful perception of the world, I think Tolkien was right...and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Anna said...

Thanks for reading the blog and commenting Lauren! I think that's a good way to look at it, and a good way to explain it.