Saturday, April 5, 2008

Not All Who Wander Are Lost


I now have one Chris Thile CD (one of the guys from Nickel Creek) that a friend gave to me.
I absolutely LOVE it. There is only one song that I don't like much on it....all of them are really pretty with catchy tunes, every song with a twist. Some of them are slow, some of them soothing, and some how he seems to be able to convey ideas through the notes.
The CD is named after a line from a poem of Tolkien's.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

There is also a song called Riddles in the Dark....the infamous chapter in which we first meet Gollum. I think Arwen chants the last four lines in The Return of the King movie as they renew the blade that was broken.

Really great cover art too. I like to draw, and I think that it was a really creative idea to use a graphite drawing for the CD cover. Each song has its own sound and its own melody. Thile's mandolin notes are quick and clear, like rain. Absolutely beautiful, and very relaxing. Several of the songs have segments where other stringed instruments like cellos join in. This is a melodious CD with amazing songs and Thile's genius talent for composing tunes and melodies. Wow. I highly recommend it!
Anna
PS this is the best picture I could find. I don't like the white frame, but you still get to see cover, and that's the whole point, right?

5 comments:

Andy said...

I really like that poem and I'll have to give the CD a listen sometime.

Anna said...

Wow Andy! You liked a poem that Tolkien wrote! You can borrow the CD if you want. It's pretty cool. And you're right; that is a really cool poem. Tolkien was really good at poetry.

Brian said...

Cool! If I had seen the title, I never would have remembered that line in the poem. I really did like the poem though. I'll have to listen to some of the songs some time.

John L. said...

Yeah, Chris Thyle is a very interesting character. Sort of uses a lot of literature in his albums. Be careful though, some of the mythology he incorporates in his album "How to grow a Women" isn't always clean. I can recommend all his other CD's however. I downloaded quite a few of them.
See ya sunday!

Anna said...

I haven't listened to How to grow a woman from the ground, but I'm looking forward to hearing it....I gave it to Andy for Christmas. What kind of mythology are you talking about?