Monday, April 7, 2008

Raising Sand


I had high expectations for this CD...Andy and Alissa were singing its praises, and from what I had already heard, I had liked it a lot.

I was INCREDIBLY impressed. The CD is mellow and dusky. It has a kind of melancholy sound in the notes; even though it isn't a CD that makes me sad. It has a content sound.
Krauss has a very unique voice...for that matter both of them do. Even though it's an odd pair of voices, they sound really good together.

Each song is unique, both with lyrics and tune, but all of them sound like something you would play on a rainy day.
My favorite was Please Read the Letter, which was about a plea from one lover to another (I'm guessing) to read the Letter that he had written. It was really beautiful with very interesting lyrics.....actually kind of weird, but very interesting.

Your Long Journey, which, while not exactly my very favorite, I liked a lot. It sounds kind of like a hymn or an old folk song.

Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us sounded like a gypsy ballad.

Nothin' was closer to a rock song than any of the others, I thought.

In short, I liked nearly every song. Fortune Teller was really fun, and kind of funny.....

the whole CD was just so unique....a combination of gypsy ballads, musical cries of woe, and images of places called the deep and rings and pretty birds.


Caught out running - just a little too much to hide
Baby baby, everything's gonna work out fine
Please read the letter - I nailed it to your door
It's crazy how it all turned out - you needed so much more
Too late to play - the fool can read the signs
Baby baby, you better check between the lines
Please read the letter I wrote in my sleep
With the help and consultation of the angels of the deep

Once I stood beside the well of many words
My house was full of rings and charms and pretty birds
Please understand me - my walls came falling down
There's nothing here that's left for you
But check with Lost and Found

Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote

One more song, just before we go
Remember, baby, the things we used to know
Please read my letter and promise me you'll keep
The secrets and the memory to cherish in the deep
Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote
Please read the letter that I wrote

This CD was so good! Definitely on my list of CDs to get......and if you like good music, you should check it out. A CD that was so good it would even raise sand. :D
Anna

5 comments:

John L. said...

Yeah, listen to her sing with the chieftains. WOW she is good. Some of her music though is way to danged sad, but thats just me.

John L. said...

Hey lauren Your blog vanished in one big "CURPUFFLE!" what happened!
I liked it!

Anna said...

If you want to hear a sad song, listen to Whiskey Lullaby. It's a duet with Alison Krauss and Brad Paisley....he has a few good songs and a lot of OK ones. Yeah Lauren! I enjoyed reading your blog.....
Hey John Lewis you said that you downloaded some of Thile's albums. Have you downloaded his collaberation with The Punch Brothers? That looks interesting.

Anna said...

Oh wait! I just looked Punch Brothers up, and actually, that's his official band now. Their first CD was How to Grow a Woman from the Ground, and their new one is called Punch Brothers. Did you know that Alison Krauss produced at least two of Nickel Creek's CDs?

Thile has written a whole sweet that is FORTY minutes long...I wanna hear that....his instrumentals are really pretty.

Abby said...

ewww.. cool Alison Krauss is one of my favorite artists!!! Is this one of her newer cds? Haven't seen this one :)
P.S. JL... YoUR Blog disappeared in one big Curpuffle...... what happened??? I liked it :)