Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets



Hullo!

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for the second time yesterday.

It was great, again. I was surprised at some of what I found though....the differences from the movie and the book, how short some of the action sequences actually are, and of course how much I love reading about Dobby, although I guess that isn't really a surprise. Dobby is so funny! I like the way he looks in the movie, and that's how I always imagine him. I'm tempted to say that it was the saddest death in the series when Dobby died, but maybe I should just say in The Deathly Hallows. Sirius Black dying made me MAD.

Anyway, I had a few hours of enjoyment reading Harry Potter, and I love this one because it brings in snakes. Snakes are so interesting to me....and they make wonderful evil and/or scary animals. I noticed while reading the Chamber of Secrets how well the plot is put together....it reminds me of Signs, in the way that things happen in the plot that are amusing to you but you don't really think about them, but then later there's a reason for why they happened. The car turned wild so it could rescue them from the spiders. (I am totally with Ron with spiders BTW, although they aren't my worst fear. I simply cannot stand them.) Ron's wand broke and backfired all the time so that they wouldn't get their memories erased. Harry speaking Parseltongue becomes a crucial plot element in this and other books. It's pretty cool some of the stuff that happen in each book that get tied up The Deathly Hallows. I'm really looking forward to reading The Prisoner of Azkaban, because that was my favorite of the first three.

I love Gilderoy Lockhart. No, I don't have a crush like Hermione, but he's so ridiculous that it's funny. And Moaning Myrtle! Oh oh. Some of the stuff in these is so hilarious, and then so dark. When a friend of mine started the series, I told him that each book got darker. It's true! And the Defense Agains the Dark Art Teachers just get worse....with the exception of Professor Lupin.

Although not my favorite of the series, I think it is one of Rowling's. I remember reading that The Chamber of Secrets and The Goblet of Fire were the two hardest to write (I'm not including The Deathly Hallows right now) and that they were her two favorites, but she later said that The Deathly Hallows was her favorite.
Anna

No comments: