Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Little Mermaid


The other day we went to Video Classics (the ultimate video hangout for cheap VHS's and DVD's....although we get them for two weeks because we're good about getting them back on time) and we got several movies...among those was The Little Mermaid.

I had only seen it once, so I didn't remember much about it. I don't know about you, but I love animated movies. The Lion King is among my favorites....and I also love fairy tales.
At the beginning, I thought it would be a good movie, but the very very beginning just wasn't promising. The gray sea and the gray sky...the corny sailors. What made a gray sea and corny sailors so special?
It didn't take me long to get interested though. I think it was when Ariel started singing in her treasure trove. I nearly have that song memorized. After that I absolutely loved it. There was something about Ariel that was different from the other Disney Heroines that I hadn't noticed in any of the others before. She was witching.
So I watched it through to the end and loved it. I think it's really sad that Disney has stopped doing two-dimensional animated movies. I also love Ursula...I mean, she's a great villain. The 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' sequence was hilarious (and for Mikaela, don't you think it's weird that the Jonas Brothers cover that song? Just YouTube it and find out. It's weird.) .
I think I would make a good Ursula, just because I like the challenge of sounding like her, like in a game or a play or something. That would be fun! Although I have to admit my personality type is a lot more like Ariel....:D
I love the movie up until Ariel is in Prince Eric's castle. After that, I thought the movie was kind of corny. Ariel's character is a little bit ridiculous after that. Oh yeah, and I thought it was a wonderful idea for Ariel to have to lose her voice. Believe me, I hate not having my voice. Occasionally, I get these dreadful hoarse colds, where I can't talk. Literally. I can't talk. I always like the idea of having a hoarse voice, I think it sounds cool, and no voice is fine for a little while, but....wow, I miss singing to myself and talking to people! I probably sing for about fifty percent of the time that I'm not talking, and I'm used to it! It's a quirk that I'm very much attached to!
I loved the movie, I've watched the best parts like five or six times now....

On the other hand, I also understand why Mom and Dad didn't want for me to watch it when I was little. The story practically depends on Ariel being rebellious and then going to the EVIL sea witch to solve her problem (which, BTW, doesn't work. a good point to make.) It's practically a grown up love story told in a way that children can relate.
I'm also not all that impressed with Prince Eric. he really isn't all that special. He's kind of a like a blah version of Aladdin (who might be my favorite...or at least in my five favorite Disney Heroes! no, Mickey Mouse is not among those top five.)
However, I thought as a fairy tale it was great, nice Prince or not. :D
Anna
PS I had a lot of fun watching some of the Songs on Broadway on Youtube too. Very fun to see Ursula and Ariel in real life....but it's kind of hard to find a good version of Poor Unfortunate Souls. :{

No comments: