Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Story Girl


I have long thought about reading Lucy Maud Montgomery. Who wouldn't? After reading The Story Girl, I know fully well ( and probably knew before ) that I prefer L. M. Montgomery over Jane Austin....not sure why I'm comparing the two. Female Lit, I guess.
I started The Story Girl yesterday.
I finished it today.
Amazing writing!
Oddly enough, the charm of the story isn't in its plot. It's in its characters, and in the writing itself, which breathes ironic humor and fairy-tales by the descriptions of the wild flora, and even of The Story Girl's cat, Pat.
Nothing entirely amazing happens in the book....it's about what they do in the summer, the ridiculous things that happen, that misadventures that they have...yet the story is so charming! It's funny, and each character is well defined and beautifully written.
We have Felix, precocious and fat, but still irresistible (I just know he was a cute boy), and Cecily, ever the little saint, although a bit plain, at least next to Felicity...who is very vain and prides herself on her femininity and properness.
And there is of course Beverly King, the narrator and Felix's brother. Beverly, who seems to have a good temper and smart head on his shoulders, recounts their adventures, and the many times they got into trouble. The fear and fun they get from thinking about Peg Bowen, the Avonlea Witch.....and I, like the children of the story, know she is not a witch...but I guess that as far as the story goes I've always believed that she was. Oh, the life and the fantasy that Montgomery breathes into the stories! And the Story Girl herself...this isn't the shy and timid Sara Stanley from the Avonlea stories (don't get me wrong, love the TV series...) but a smart girl with a near-magic voice that brings stories to life as she tells them. A girl with a charming smile, a girl that walks up to a strange and asks him for money for the school library fund.
To which the gentleman replies: "And why would I want to do that?"
The Story Girl, smiling, says: "Because a lady asks you."
A lovely answer.
I loved this book...and it is Honorary July Book of the Month. I know I took forever to finally pick a June one...so this will just be a July one and I'll have two. :D So this is the first July Book of the Month.
My only problem is that the copy I have is cheap and printed by a cheap publishing company. The pages are all falling out....I had to keep pushing a stack back in.....and it had several typos.
I want to order myself a better copy. :D
FIVE GOLDEN LUCKY STARS!!!!!!!!
Lucy Maud Montgomery is one of my new favorite authors. Right up there with Tolkien and Lewis. Can't wait to read more!
Anna

17 comments:

John said...

Hi Anna! How are you and your family doing?

I was wondering, do you print or save the little post I wrote about your dad a few months back? I lost that when I deleted my old blog, and would like to add it to my new blog.

Thank you,

I hope all is well. We miss all of you.

Anna said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry, I didn't. Maybe someone else did.....

How is everybody? Tell everybody hello from us...we all miss you and can't wait to see you again! I bet the kids have grown a lot!

Grl4God said...

Hi! I saw your comment and I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean 20 pages? If so, I think that 20 is a little much. I would stick to 2 pages. Thanks!

Grl4God

Anna said...

Yes, believe it or not I actually did mean twenty. I don't think I could stick to two. Your blog is cool though!

John said...

That's alright. I'm the dummy that deleted the blog.

Everyone is well, and Amanda is really ready for the new one expected next month. We will name him Benjamin James.

Tell everyone hello.

Anna said...

That's a great name! I really like the name Benjamin....I guess I always have. I've also grown fond of the name James.

Mikaela said...

Benjamin Button!! :D The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!! Tee hee. Jokes. Weird Brad Pitt is playing him in the new movie... 0_o weird.. :]

Anna said...

Oh Mike! (Mike = AOC [annoying older cuz.])

JK Mikaela. Yah, that movie looks pretty weird, but REALLY interesting....and yah it is weird that Brad Pitt is playing him. I wonder how they're gonna manage to make him keep getting younger and older and stuff? He looks like a kid in part of it! And he's like...40, right?

Grl4God said...

Update: SHORT STORY CONTEST ENDS IN TWO DAYS!!

Grl4God

Anna said...

Oh thanks for letting me know, but I guess I decided not to enter. I'm not very confident in the story I wrote, so....I'm a little embarrassed to let anybody see it. :) Maybe next time.

Mikaela said...

You are letting me read the story you wrote and what do you know.. i have it to! I could send it in for you.. >_> Mwhahahhaha

Anna said...

For the record, if Grl4God reads this and Mikaela is serious (which I sincerely doubt) any story that is submitted with a girl named Nyune, a boy named Eadric and any mention of owls, towers and a man named Tiffany Kitt should be disqualified.

Mikaela said...

okay fine its a story about Nadia, Eric, Biffany Ditt, and a bunch of ferrets. :] hehehehe.. jks (maybe)

Anna said...

oh whatever...

Cheerleaderanonymous said...

Yeah I sent somthingin I feel so left out!Yeah!ME!!!!!!

Annette Lyon said...

I found you through J. Scott's Farworld blog. As someone who's been an LM Montgomery fan for almost forever, this post was a joy to read. I love The Story Girl, but it's not even in my top 5 favorite list of LMM books. I hope you read more of her work; she's got some awesome stuff. Like you said, a lot of the charm isn't from earth-shattering plotlines, but from awesome characters and a way of creating a world and ambience that's just perfect.

Tolkein and Lewis are two of my other all-time favorite authors. I like you already. :)

Anna said...

I am very much looking forward to reading more of L. M. Montgomery's stuff. I love Tolkien and Lewis....although I guess you figured that out already. Thanks for reading and commenting!