Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Magic of Autumn

Ooh it's happened!

Every year whenever the chilly winds of autumn finally hit Brownfield, I get the biggest bug to start reading and writing...a lot.

Fantasy is my preferred genre....and I can thank my brother and Peter Jackson for that. I remember that when we first saw the trailer for The Lord of the Rings, I didn't really know what to think about it, and I didn't really care....until Brian started getting all excited about it, and then I remember how Mom talked to him on the phone about it, and I remember her taking notes on what was in it so she would remember....there were things called orcs, and dark black pits where old guys fell in! We heard about it from word of mouth, first Brian, then Andy.

And then we went to see it!
I didn't get really crazy about it until I started watching the extended editions...courtesy of Brian, again. And then Brian let me borrow his copy.....of the book. Oh, I didn't get very far. Not far at all. I started it countless times; always trying to finish it. I finally gave it back to him, several years later, still unfinished.

Then, I made up my mind that I was going to read the whole trilogy; and I made it through the first two. After that, The Return of the King wasn't interesting enough to continue reading; I was burned out of Tolkien and all that heavy literary language. It was difficult to read, still is a bit difficult to read, but it's so worth it!

And then, as I get steadily more interested yet again, I did it. I read the entire trilogy, although I admit that I haven't read all of the appendices. I have a fair-sized Tolkien Library, but I don't have half of the books available!

Just thinking about Frodo and Sam and Merry and Pippin...and Aragorn and Legolas makes me want to DO something about it. So my plan is to get some of those books I keep putting off finishing out of the way, finish the Silmarillion and those pesky but wonderful appendices, and start another Tolkien book. Save up for an Enya CD, maybe read some Tolkien Letters.....Autumn is great isn't it?

Even my dog (ironically named Autumn) changed in the fall. She's pretty blond throughout the summer and spring, but she sheds all of her fur and gets this pretty red coat for fall and winter. I can't wait to see what she looks like when I finally get around to giving her a bath and cutting those matts off...then she'll be the prettiest dog on the street, or at least, I think so.

I'm going to stop my rambles now, because it's a beautiful day and I've got a lot to do. School for instance. House cleaning. Stick-throwing (Autumn and I both enjoy this activity) and book-reading. I'm especially looking forward to the book-reading. And I need to throw together a special playlist with elvish-sounding songs on iTunes for the Silmarillion for me to listen to. Thanks for reading this Roverrandom post (probably only Tolkien people will get that) and I hope that you're having a great fall too!
Anna

No comments: