Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Martian Child


Recently we joined Net Flix, and I've had fun looking for clean science fiction movies. One of the ones I found was Martian Child, a story about a science fiction writer whose wife died two years ago and who wants very much to adopt a child.

He gets Dennis, a little boy that insists that he is from Mars. The Martian Child tells the journey of how David Gordon, an awkward writer, learns how to be a dad to this little boy that says he is from Mars, and how they eventually learn to love each other, despite the struggles.

I think this is a really great movie, with a nice performance from John Cusack, who plays David Gordon, and Bobby Coleman, who plays the Martian Child, Dennis.

Joan Cusack, John Cusack's real life sister, plays David Gordon's sister Liz.

It was interesting to watch for the first time, and fun to watch a second time (I watched part of it over with Dad) and I thought the whole movie was really sweet and kind of funny in some places. My favorite part is when Dennis teaches David to dance...I think it was a Martian Dance, probably.

I liked it so much that it is September Movie of the Month...if I finish any books this month, I'll post two, since I forgot to last month.

Anna

2 comments:

Grl4God said...

I've been wanting to see that movie. I'm glad I got a review from a respectable girl like you! Instead of a snobby critic.

Grl4God

Anna said...

Oh thanks! I don't really review stuff professionally at all. I just throw a few thoughts together and then post it. I really don't worry about making the blog sound very good....I save that for the stories! I thought it was a really good movie. I think you would like it. If you see it, let me know what you think!