Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rescue Dawn


I have seen Rescue Dawn twice now. I don't remember exactly what I thought of it the first time, but I can tell you now that it has got to be one of the greatest hero movies ever made.

Rescue Dawn tells the true story of Dieter Dangler, a Navy pilot. His plane crashes on his first mission, and he then becomes a POW.

I'm not going to try to give a plot summary here. I hate writing those...but I am going to explain what I thought of the movie.

Dieter and his friends react to their imprisonment and torture the way a normal person would. That's why the movie is so fantastic, and that's why Dieter Dangler is a hero. Because he did fall, he did hurt, and he nearly went crazy. Comic Book Heroes wouldn't do that.

What's so great about the characters is their weaknesses, and how the few strengths that they have help them through their imprisonment and escape.

This has got to be the ultimate trial for any human being. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to go through what POW's go through and have gone through. In Rescue Dawn, the jungle that I always admire in other stories and dream about for my own (pythons, tigers, dark leaves, etc.) becomes menacing and frightening. The jungle that Dieter and Duane travel through is incredibly green and dense at the same time...something that always seemed beautiful. It might take awhile for me to see the mysterious beauty that I admired before. What I saw in Rescue Dawn was harsh brutality in the immense green leaves.

What else can I say? I thought this was a really good movie. Steve Zahn and Christian Bale star in it, so it has to be good right? We do have TV Guardian, and I'm warning against the graphic violence, another part that made the movie so harshly realistic. It was a great story. Because it had a happy ending after all that Dangler went through. Christian Bale is an amazing actor and gave an awesome performance. I was practically astounded. Just watch him when he explains to Duane why he became a pilot. You could just about see the story he was telling.

So, ten out of ten. I'm glad I watched it again. Also November Movie of the Month. :D
Anna

Oh, and here's a trailer so you can kind of see the jist of it. Looks pretty amazing doesn't it? The movie is better than the trailer. I had forgotten how good it was.


17 comments:

Brian said...

Sounds great! I want to see it sometime.

Mikaela said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. whats up I haven't talked to you in a long time. :]

Brandon said...

I've never seen anything with Christian Bale before, I think. What else is he in?

Anna said...

well, he's the new Batman, star of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. He was in Little Women with Wynona Ryder (not one of his best ones. :D )
And he is the star of Newsies, and the best character in it. :D Jack Kelly....yah Hi Mike. No, we haven't talked in awhile...Ur NEVER ON!

Mikaela said...

I was working all week this previous week! Talk to you tomorrow sya lunch time-ish? :]

Anna said...

umm, yah maybe. oh, btw, weird thing.
I was in Lubbock the other day, and I saw this girl in a car that looked almost exactly like DEMI LOVATO!!!! Like, I even wondered if it could have been her. It was an average looking black car. Could have been a jaguar and an old african american dude was driving it. so, do u know if she would have gone through lubbock in a black car with an old guy or not? Or maybe this girl was an imitator. :D

Mikaela said...

weirdd

Mythopoeia said...

Hm, that's curious, because I've actually been considering seeing this film for a while. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors due to his performance in 'The Prestige' (check it out if you haven't), so this looked intriguing. Now your review has me even more interested . . . I'll probably rent it now :)

Anna said...

I love the prestige! Christian Bale's performance in Rescue Dawn is especially incredible though.

Mikaela said...

The Prestige rocks!! Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman in one movie? What could be awesomer?? Christian bale, Hugh Jackman, and Joe Jonas in a musical! Thats what. :]

Anna said...

YUCK. I would not put Joe Jonas and Christian Bale in the same movie, let alone a musical. Sorry, I don't have the same passion for musicals as you do. GUess what dude? I ordered my Charlotte Russe Jacket, got it, and it didn't fit right, so they're saying I need to wait until they receive it back in the mail before I order the right size! I'm really not happy about it. Do you think I should go ahead and order again since they're going to refund Dad's credit card anyways?
Or wait...they said credit it....
should I do what they said?????

Mikaela said...

It would be totally HOT if both Christian Bale AND Joe jonas were in a musical/movie. What could possibly awesomer?? :O

Anna said...

well...maybe both. OH! Naw, that might be too weird. I was about to suggest Christian Bale in a Pirates movie, but maybe we could just settle for Christian Bale and Johnny Depp in the same movie. Actually, Johnny Depp might be the villain in the next Batman movie. :D

Mikaela said...

Really? Who would he be? Poison Ivy.. }:] JUST KIDDING. LOL The penguin? 0_o

Anna said...

The Riddler. GOSH!

We are so going to watch the Dark Knight and Rescue Dawn this Christmas.

Mikaela said...

LOL no way! thats going to be awesome (Johnny Depp being the Riddler will make it soooo creepyyy!).

Anna said...

I KNOW! Now, that will be awesome.