Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Library of 2008


Well, it's 2009 now. What can I say? 2008 went by awfully fast! It's right after Christmas again, and before we know it it will be right after Christmas in 2010, which is incredibly scary. A number of scary things will probably happen in 2009, but I suppose I can crash through it alright, just like I did last year. Scary things being last year that: okay mostly that I turned fifteen. That's scary. WOW!

Anyway, this post is about the best books of the year, or about the books of the month, or something along those lines. :D

I was thinking about picking a book of the year for last year, out of all my books of the month. But that might be impossible, because how can I choose one book and then betray all of my favorite authors? It might be impossible. However, among my favorites that I read through this year was...in no order, because I can't do that.....

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis,
which was the first official book of the month, for March, which is when I started doing this.

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien. I'm not going to lie. I'm a Tolkien person first, then Lewis. I enjoyed The Return of the King more than Till We Have Faces, even though both were excellent. Can you believe that I'm on the verge of plunging into the trilogy again?

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. This started out as Red, the second in the trilogy, being May book of the month, but then I read White and had to put all three in as May Book of the Month. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried, and it was spiritually uplifting to read it. Wow! He's coming out with a fourth book this year. I can't wait! I'll have to post some updates about that.

The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery.
This book was so much fun! I love L. M. Montgomery. She writes with such a clean, romantic voice that when I get into one of her books I can't stop. I read three of her books this year, and hope to top that by five or seven this year. I'm excited to read the Anne series plus all of her other books!

Dragonlight by Donita K. Paul. This is the fifth and final installment in the Dragon Keeper Chronicles, books I love for being original, yet reminiscent of Tolkien and Lewis. The main character is also a girl named Kale, and she gets to hatch all of these beautiful little dragons, and there are battles and dying and big walking dragons. (sorry, that was a play on a line from the Peter Pan movie.) Dragonlight was fun to read, but Dragonquest is still my favorite in the series.

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Excellent, ten star novel. Loved it, couldn't put it down. It was fun to read, romantic, (in a....medieval, dragons and swords kind of way) and I was raised on the movie, and I'm pretty sure my Mom read me this one a long time ago.

Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery. I loved this one as much or more than the first one, because I loved when Anne started teaching and how she noticed each kid in her class and became friends with Paul. I just liked the description of the kids and all of Anne's predicaments, and then there was Davy Keith. Little rat. :D I like little rats though.

Blink of an Eye by Ted Dekker. The best Ted Dekker novel I've read outside of the books concerning Thomas Hunter (The Lost Books, The Circle Trilogy). It was a fast pace, with likeable characters, and an incredible plot.

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini.
Despite the flaws, Brisingr was a very enjoyable read. Roran annoys me, as do the five-ten chapter intervals of pure boring, such as when Eragon is stuck with the dwarves discussing politics. Still, I delighted in reading it for a whole week, so Paolini did his job. Doesn't mean he did it well, though. :D

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I haven't posted a review of this one. I finished it last night, right after midnight. I was determined to finish it yesterday, and had two long sittings of it. I think I've forgiven Jo for turning down Laurie, and I think I like Laurie and Amy together now. But I'm not real psyched about the Bear Man. Bhaer. :D Good character and all, but I just don't like him as Jo's hub. Like his name though. :D And now I'm curious about Little Men, what happens to all of Jo's Boys, what happens to Laurie's namesake, and what happens to Laurie's little girl, Beth. It was an excellent read, and I like Laurie more than ever. He's always been a favorite, And so he is again! (So Little Women is December Book of the Month three days late.) I watched part of the movie (I don't much care for the second half) and then decided that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to read the book. I'm glad I did! Little Women is officially the first book I finished in 2009, despite the fact that I started in 2008, but it still counts. So, that's the first book I've read this year, making the total a grand and lonely ONE. :D

Those are my books of the month, among the best books of the year. I'm excited to see what books '09 will bring. Tootles!

:D
Anna

2 comments:

Donita K. Paul said...

Hi, Anna. thanks for listing Dragonlight and your kind words. They are an encouragement to me. I had to laugh when I saw the name of your other blog. I made my grandson a sock monkey for Christmas.
Those have been popular forever, it seems.

Anna said...

:D

Thank you so much for commenting. I'm looking forward to your next book! Is it coming out this next summer?

I love Sock Monkeys! I have an unfinished one in a closet somewhere. It looks very pathetic, but someday I'll have to finish him and give him a name. My cousin just thought of that, out of nowhere, and we both liked it, so that's what we called it.