Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Recent Music........


Since Christmas, I've been listening to a lot of music, and added new stuff to my iPod, borrowed stuff from people, etc. Here's a quickie list:


1. Why Should the Fire Die? by Nickel Creek
I've had this for awhile, but only recently put it on my iPod. Nickel Creek is great. Among my favorites on the CD are 'Can't Complain,' 'Helena,' and 'Doubting Thomas.'

2. Newsies Soundtrack
I may have posted something about this one on Sock Monkeys...I think I remember writing a review. The soundtrack is excellent and even has some lyrics that the movie doesn't have, although I'm not sure it has all the instrumentals. I was presently surprised by the instrumental 'Rooftop,' which I've enjoyed as much as the songs sung by the actors.

3. Waking Up by Bethany Dillon
This CD is really excellent. The songs have beautiful melodies and even more beautiful lyrics. I enjoy listening to it and the songs really praise Jesus.

4. Psalms by Shane and Shane
This CD is also excellent. I haven't listened to it quite as much as Waking Up (got them around the same time) but I've enjoyed it a lot. It has a nice sound.

5. Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin
I am now an official Led Zeppelin fan. Several of the songs on this CD were inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien or make reference to his work, which is one of the reasons I got interested in them in the first place. The only song I don't ever care about listening to is 'Stairway to Heaven.' Maybe that's just because I haven't taken the time to really listen to it......but I enjoy all of the other songs.

6. Go by Newsboys
My brother Jason likes the Newsboys, and I borrowed a few CDs from him, listened to those, and then bought this one, which I'm enjoying a lot. They have a fun sound. I like singers from Australia. :D

7. Amarantine by Enya
Enya has such a mystical, relaxing sound.....but it also sounds really kinetic at the same time. She has a neat quality to her music that reminds me of Middle-Earth....partly because she was involved in the Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack.

8. Hook by John Williams
Although not Williams' best soundtrack, I really like Hook. It has a pleasant, homey sound to it, but adventurous at the same time....just like Neverland. Which is appropriate, right?

Bob Dylan:

9. New Morning
I've always liked this one a lot. It has some really cool songs in it, and a comfortable folksy sound that I really like! Day of the Locusts is probably my favorite on the album. It has such random, fun lyrics....

10. Hard Rain
This is a live album with some of his best songs on it live, including my favorite version of Shelter From the Storm, one of the songs that got me interested in Dylan.

11. Knocked Out Loaded, Brownsville Girl
Andy let me listen to this song, which he said was one of the few good ones from Dylan's album Knocked Out Loaded. I bought it on Amazon.

12. Empire Burlesque, Dark Eyes
I had heard this one before, but Andy let me listen to it again recently, (Empire Burlesque is apparently another album with very few good songs) and I decided to buy it as well.

Wow, that's a lot of music! I still have another Bob Dylan CD besides Hard Rain that I borrowed from Andy that I haven't listened to much yet and a Switchfoot album that I ordered recently but hasn't arrived yet.
That just about wraps it up...and I need to go anyway so I can work on reading Treasure Island. :D
Anna

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

ZEPPLIN ROCKS!! :D ha ha. Newsies soundtrack is even better!! (sorry the musical fan got the best of me, over the rocker).. LOL