Monday, March 9, 2009

Recent Reads


Hello everyone. For all of my friends, if it seems I've been silent for awhile, I have two good excuses for not making comments, e-mails or facebook statuses. All last week I had a beastly cold and my internet was out. So, I haven't been able to post the books I've conquered, what I'm reading next, or really much of anything. So, here I am to catch up. HI.


Reading First::::

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
This is the longest Harry Potter book, and also the one with the best cover, besides Goblet of Fire. I had so much fun reading it again...reading J.K. Rowling is so relaxing and warming. She's easy and funny and magical....what more do you want from a good fantasy book?

2. Infidel by Ted Dekker
This one was good. I don't think that it's fair that he thinks of good plots nearly every time he writes a book.

3. The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien
Oh wow! I read this in two days, partly because it was so brilliant, partly because I was working hard to finish up books fast and meet my deadline. This book was great, and sad. And Alan Lee did the marvelous illustrations inside. I feel like I'm really starting to live up to my self-given label of Tolkien Freak now that I've read seven of his books and a biography on him and a few of his letters. Not to mention most of the appendices in those books! Gosh.

4. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
I started this in the fall last year, and enjoyed what I read of it. I finished this the same day that I finished Children of Hurin....that was a long reading night, full of hard, sleepy work, getting through Jim killing Isaac Hands and then getting captured by Silver and his men. I liked it, but I didn't like it as much as I expected.

5. Warriors Super Edition: Firestar's Quest by Erin Hunter
This was pretty good, but not as good as I remember the first cycle being. I prefer the books that stay grounded in the clan with familiar cats. It's more interesting to me when conflicts arise among the familiars. The writing seemed a bit weak in places...although that may be because it was written for a younger audience. Still, Erin Hunter's books are fun reads, however unliterary they are.

6. Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
I love Eleanor Estes books. I read her book The Witch Family last October....and it was one of the funnest books ever! I quote from it all the time (Oh, Hurly Burly!). Her books are full of adorable quotes. In Ginger Pye I especially noticed "Oh Boombernickles." My mom read this to me when I was little, and I remember her saying "Oh Boombernickles." when she read it, and how she read certain paragraphs. Estes captures the heart of a dog really well. I like the part where it says that Ginger's heart was singing "Jerry jerry jerry!" Haha...you probably have to read it or read the quote to appreciate it, but I'm too lazy to put the quote up.

7. Chronicles Volume One by Bob Dylan
I finished this book in two days, just like so many other books that week. The writing is brilliant. Bob Dylan sings, plays guitar, writes songs and incredible autobiogrpahies. I hope that he'll still write Volume Two. He has a really unique writing voice and an interesting way of writing. He would explain about the people he was mentioning, go for pages of background and random facts, and just random little weird memories. It was like taking a trip through his brain. It was loads of fun to read it. He's a great writer.

Since the beginning of March, I've read two other books too:

1. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
This was really easy to read and not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I thought I would read the whole series through again, but I don't think I want to use my time up on them. Not that it isn't a good book, but it's written so simply, again for a younger audience and without a very distinctive voice, I just don't think I'll enjoy them as much. However, I may cruise the front pages for the dedication quotes. Those are funny and ingenious. (For Beatrice - darling, dearest, dead. )

2. Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Beautiful writing. I love all the metaphors and poetic descriptions of the days and nights and Davy Keith! He's sooo funny. I'm sure there's a little kid just like him, somewhere, wreaking hilarious havoc. It'll be awhile before I pick up another Anne book, but maybe I'll read The Golden Road or something soon. I've read part of it before and really liked it. I wish there were more writers like L.M. Montgomery that spit in the face of plot and make a beautiful story anyway. Of course there is a plot in the book, but it doesn't feel like it's carefully planned out. It feels pretty natural, except for all the proposals that Anne gets. That seemed just a little bit unrealistic to me, but oh well. It was a nice girl read.


I'm reading The Iliad and Ben-Hur throughout the month. I'm going to start The Hobbit either tonight or tomorrow, and I also might read through King's Dragon by Kate Elliot. I found out about that book on The Faerie Carousel, in the side bar reading list.....just one other good reason to actually go to a blog after you get the new post on your google reader. The layout of blogs is interesting, dontcha reckon?

Goodnight to all.
Anna
Post book of the month soon. If you want links for the books, sorry. You'll have to go find them yourself...it's too much trouble to do all the going and pasting.

4 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

I loved reading about all the books you conquered in February! I'm glad you liked The Children of Hurin; I just found the audiobook in a used bookstore and of course I had to buy it. I usually don't like audiobooks, but Christopher Lee reads this one, come on! I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's highly recommended ^_^

I haven't read all those books you listed, so it was interesting to read your reviews. What is Infidel about?

Oh, and yay, The Iliad! I love the Iliad so much, haha. Ben-Hur is very different from the book, but it's interesting.

As to the Kate Elliot book, I really need to hunt it down still. I've never read her stuff before, but apparently one of my professors is a friend of hers, so he told me to read some of her books so he can introduce me to her, since I'm an aspiring author. I'll have to go to the library this month.

Happy March reading!

Mythopoeia said...

And I meant to say that Ben-Hur is different from the Charles Heston FILM . . . not the book . . .

Thanks for your kind comment on my story, too. I will be posting the next part as soon as possible, probably sometime next week, after midterm fever dies down.

Aji said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Miriam

http://www.craigslistposter.info

Anna said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it Miriam! Thanks for commenting. Comments are ALWAYS welcome. :D