Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's in a Name?



I've always been really fascinated with names and the meanings behind them as a writer, and an interesting, different name always grabs my attention.

But I was just thinking about how there are some names that I don't like, and I think it's because I've stereotyped the kind of character that name usually gets stuck too. And I also realized that all it takes is one character that really stands out with that name to change my mind about that.

For instance: Until recently, I never cared at all for the names Ginny or Daniel. What characters changed my mind???


Ginny Weasley, the vivacious Weasley sister in the Harry Potter series. I'm always going to think about her when I hear 'Bat Bogey Hex...' she becomes a very important character in the sixth installment of the series, and her character really shines through. At first I wasn't sure about how she ended up (I'm not going to type that out for the few that haven't read HP yet....), and I didn't know if I liked that, but now, after rereading all but the last book (which I'm excited about) I decided that I definitely do. I also really like the way it is spelled. Weirdly, that sounds like it might be a cool name to name a little girl, which is really weird for me, that name has just never appealed to me....I think the spelling does make a lot of difference. You have to admit that Anne spelt with an 'e' really does look better than Ann.


LOST SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







Daniel Faraday is a character from Lost introduced in the fourth season. I had seen the actor in another movie that I liked a lot, and was interested to see what kind of character he would play, and after seeing an episode in which he was particularly interesting, Daniel/Dan seems like a cool name now.
I did always like the Bible story when I was little (still do)....then it was mostly because of the lions.........



So nearly any name that I don't like can probably be redeemed if I see it in a different light. I say nearly because there are exceptions to nearly every rule. :D
Anna

9 comments:

Mikaela said...

i still think ginny is a weird name... it makes me think of Gin. XD

Anna said...

funny....when I hear Gin I think of Jin, ANOTHER character from Lost. :D Ginny is now a cool name. In my head.

Mythopoeia said...

Hm, interesting post, and very true observations. I've never yet seen lost . . . but I know that Sydney was certainly not my favorite name in the world before I read 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

I think 'Ginny' looks weird on the page, but sounds nice and cute. I don't know about being called Ginny when you're, like, 40, though.

Anna said...

That's true....I was almost named Heidi. ugh. I think I'm always going to be very....particular about that one just because I was nearly named it. My brothers talked my Mom out of it and told her it would sound terrible when I got old. :D

Still...at the moment I just really like the name 'Ginny' spelled that way....but I thought it was kind of weird when I first saw it spelled that way.

Mythopoeia said...

Thought you might be interested to know I finally started watching 'Lost' today. And oh WOW. 11 episodes in one day. My homework will avenge itself on me for that tonight and tomorrow, but right now I don't care. I'm a convert :D
I've got a lot of catching up to do, though . . .

Brandon said...

Ive always like The name Ginny, well since last month i guess but...

Mattie said...

Ginny is a pretty cool name. But when I hear Gin I think of a cotton gin.Weird.....

Anna said...

Lol. Is everyone still commenting on this post because I haven't updated in forever.

Mattie said...

Yeah probably:)jk.