Friday, May 22, 2009

Movies I've enjoyed recently.....




1. Twilight
This movie came out last year. You would have to live all alone and never come out to not notice the Twilight craze. I've read the first book and part of the third one, and I would still like to read the whole series. Here's my take: It's good. It's original. Not the greatest writing ever, but she had a good idea, and she's like the new J. K. Rowling now (all of the Harry fans have grown up, they need something to settle their fantasy/romance tastes, don't they?) but I am a Harry Potter fan first. The movie was surprisingly good, with a good soundtrack. I'm not a Twilight fanatic though. I appreciate it for its uniqueness, and come on, you gotta admit....some of the characters are pretty cool.

2. Seven Pounds
This movie also came out last year. I generally enjoy Will Smith movies. He's a good actor. Men in Black 1 and 2 were both pretty good (but especially the first one) and I also enjoyed seeing I Am Legend and The Pursuit of Happyness. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is good too. :D
Seven Pounds was very well done. I enjoyed watching it a lot, but it'll be better if you don't know anything about it, so don't look it up or watch trailers or anything. (I knew what was going to happen when I started it.)

3. Slumdog Millionaire
This was great too! I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen or what it was about when I started it, except that it took place in a foreign country. I was very pleasantly surprised. Plus, again, it has a great soundtrack. :D The Paper Planes song always makes me happy, and Latika's Theme is beautiful...but sorry, this is a movie post, not a music post. The movie was excellent. There's a reason it got nominated (and didn't it win???) for so many awards.

4. Hancock
Another Will Smith movie! Just alright, really. I thought it was pretty good, and different for a super hero movie, but I think there are a lot of things about it that they could have done better. Not the greatest Will Smith better, but it was still different, and probably worth seeing.

5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. But it was really good. I'm not sure...but this might have been the first Brad Pitt movie I've seen. I'm not sure. Not the first Cate Blanchett movie I've seen. She is a great actress! Every character I've seen her play is vastly different from the last one. Makes me really want to see I'm Not There (in which she plays Bob Dylan). Very well done!

6. Iron Man
Robert Downey Jr.! I saw him in the Soloist with Brian when he was visiting...and I enjoyed his performance in that a lot, but I liked Iron Man even better. Dad enjoyed it too, even though he fell asleep. I also enjoyed Gwyneth's Paltrow's performance as Pepper Potts. A great watch....looking forward to the sequel!

7. Australia
This was a long, gorgeously done epic western. Starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, it's a rugged, yet touching tale about the cattle industry in Australia just before World War II. I was interested as soon as I saw the trailer....some time ago. I think my first impression when I saw the trailer was that it was some kind of unique apocolyptic science fiction story, or something great and new that took place in a completely different world. Although it was not fantasy or science fiction (I won't explain how I got that impression just now, it would take too long) it was exotic and beautifully filmed.

8. Rocky
Last night I enjoyed watching Rocky with my Mom and Dad. It had been awhile since I had seen it. That is a GREAT movie with a GREAT soundtrack! I guess I didn't realize that Sylvester Stallone wrote all six of the Rocky movies until last night. He directed the very last one, too...but I found that interesting.

Last, but not least, I've started watching the first season of the Original Star Trek series. Although the special effects aren't very impressive (aired in 1967, how could they be?) I've enjoyed the first two episodes a lot, and I've even been a little creeped out by them. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the first season and then moving on and watching some of the other episodes......I guess this really does make me a Trekkie, doesn't it? I'm really excited about the new Star Trek.

Slumdog Millionaire and Australia make my recommended Movies this month, although I thought all of these were good.....

Anna

3 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

There's so much I like about this post. Firstly, I just saw Slumdog Millionaire for the first time too, and loved it! I think it's the purity of the love and character of the protagonists that makes it so refreshing . . . so nice to see that in a film again. And it's got me interested in Bollywood . . . which is turning out to be a good thing ^_^
Secondly: Australia. I was intrigued by trailers, but never actually got around to seeing the film. So, I was glad to read your review. It's worth borrowing from my school library, then?
Thirdly: The original Star Trek series! Yesss!!! My dad is basically as close to Trekkie as you can get without the whole strange obsessive thing going, haha, and I sort of inherited the interest from him, though I am exclusively an Original Series fan. So I'm very happy you're watching it. 'Friday's Child', 'Errand(?) of Mercy' and 'City on the Edge of Forever'. As well as 'The Trouble With Tribbles', of course!
Have you seen Star Trek the film yet? I plan to go again, it's brilliant!

Brandon said...

you told me you thought Hancock was not very good!?

Anna said...

Brandon:::::

it wasn't great. It was just alright.