Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reads


Well, it's been an age or eighty since I posted, but what can I say? I'm a busy girl, got through driving school without dying, passed my driving test, got way behind on my reading (I've only read three out of a designated fourteen this month.....I should be blushing with shame, but I'm not....) and now here I am to update. Sweetness!

In April, I read/finished the following:


1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Loved it, again. That book was an incredible first read, and great the second time. Here's a collected quote from Peeves:

When there's strife and when there's trouble, Call on Peevsie, he'll make double!

2. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
I despised this book the first time I read it. I loved the movie, still do, but when I read the book all the way through for the first time, I was severely disappointed. The second time I enjoyed it a lot more, collected lots of quotes, and snuggling into delightful hours of his whimsical, imaginative writing. I now appreciate it for what it is; an eccentric children's classic. So it's fair to say that if you don't like a book the first time, you can always try it again.

...It was now ten minutes since three scoundrels had been breathing behind the curtains and Peter Pan can do a great deal in ten minutes.

3. Midnight by Erin Hunter

Like the last Erin Hunter book I read, it was good, but not as good as the original cycle. I felt like there were some good characters though, and the writing was alright. It was an enjoyable read. Not incredibly literary, but it was still worth reading. I didn't get any quotes from it. :D

4. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
I read it all the way through for the third time! And it won't be the last time, either. J.R.R. Tolkien is brilliant! I can't wait to get holt of his new book.

As far as he could remember, Sam slept through the night in deep content, if logs are contented.

5. The Underneath by Kathi Appelt
This was a wonderful read! I read it in one day ( partly because it was so good, partly because the library called and said the needed it back ASAP) and I thought it was great. It was about an old dog, a mama cat and her kittens, a moccasin snake and an alligator. One reason it was brilliant was because it took place in the Texas swamps. (TEXAS MYTHOLOGY!!!!!!!) Really great. Definitely worth checking out. I found out about it on Bookworm some time ago.

Bones, fur, milk, curiosity. That is what cats are made of.

So far this month I have read:

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
I read this hungrily. I had forgotten so much of the details, and quite a bit of the bigger things too, including how a certain house elf becomes so nice.....I won't say who for the people who haven't read Deathly Hallows.

7. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
This was good to. I read this in one evening, because it was so short and I needed to finish it so my friend could read it.

8. Smoky the Cowhorse by Will James
This one was great, and really unusual from some of the stuff I've read before. It was written by the cowboy Will James, written in a great, original voice, written from the viewpoint of an exceptionally good range-bred horse with a mouse-colored hide and a fiery spirit. Great.


The rest of that day was full of events for Smokey, he explored the whole country, went up big mountains two feet high, wide valleys six or eight feet acrost and at one time was as far as twelve feet away from his mammy all by himself. He shied at a rock once, it was a dangerous looking rock, and he kicked at it as he went past.



One reason I included the quotes is because I have such dreadful reviewing skills. I really should practice.....I apologize to my loyal blog readers. Thanks for reading about my reads!

Books of the month: Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie and Smoky the Cowhorse by Will James.


Anna

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

Yay! You put up a new post!! :D I got tired of reading your old ones over and over again when I was bored. XD