Friday, June 19, 2009

Recommended TV for the month


I know I'm late at getting to this.

A few weeks ago...no wait, maybe a whole month ago, I found the first season of the Original Series of Star Trek was available to watch for free on Netflix. I've become a Star Trek fan from watching the first four movies, which I gradually enjoyed more and more with each movie. So, I thought it would be fun to watch the Original Series. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I expected them to be good, but not that good! True and granted, some of the special effects aren't great. Some of them are downright awful. Fact: they were good in the 1960's, and they still get the job of entertaining storytelling done. So, I've finished the first season, and I've started watching the second on YouTube, and it's just as addicting as Lost. It isn't for everybody; a lot of people will be turned off by the out-dated special effects, the incorrect futuristic predictions, and probably some of the storylines. Some episodes are definitely better than others. I disliked the one where they come across the Greek god Apollo.

But it does its job; it captures very well the essence of a fantasy world grounded in the question 'What if?'

What if, in the 23rd century, we had incredible starships and had made contact with various alien planets and could go to warp speed? What if one of the crew was an alien? What if this ship was on a mission to seek out alien life forms? What if?

In other words, it's good old fashioned science fiction, and that's the best kind.
Anna

No comments: