Sunday, August 16, 2009

NaNoWriMo Ideas


Well, I'm at home by myself, which is nice. It feels good for the house to be quiet except for whatever I'm doing. Good down time. Normally, I would be on my way to church with my Dad, but I am recovering from a savage cold, and I don't want a relapse. Thankfully, everything seems to be toning down and healing up. I have my 'old self' back, less sore throat, less ear ache. And all of that helps tremendously.

It was a nice week though...I took my time reading a really wonderful book. New favorite, can't wait to read the sequels...I'll post a review or something soon. :)

I was just thinking about what I'm going to do for NaNoWriMo this year...and this is also my first year participating, and I'm anticipating a difficult but rewarding writing month. I do, fortunately have a few ideas, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to go with. The two I am considering most at the moment are my "Indrego Prince" and "Sammie Other" idea. Indrego Prince was inspired by a weird dream I had, Sammie Other is a character that I randomly invented yesterday when I was working on another character's history. Apparently Sammie cursed this poor guy....and nobody has any idea. (Don't get the wrong idea, Sammie didn't mean to do it.) So anyway, right now it's a toss up between those.

But there's also my "Extinct Dog" idea, monsters in the closet idea, and an idea that's ALWAYS there and probably always will be, my "Poison Street" idea. The whole idea for that came from playing with word magnets.

I'm having fun thinking about it. And I'm getting very excited. But which idea should I use, I wonder? I think I should try to decide soon so I can write down some character and plot notes to help me along a bit. Maybe. Or should I wait until November 1st to decide? To be fair, each story has its merits. And each has progressed a little in different directions (even though Sammie was only born yesterday). Indrego Prince has a better handle on the plot, I think, Sammie Other's character is fleshed out a bit more. I'm not sure how I'll pull of 50,000 words in 30 days....too bad they didn't pick a month with 31 days. I have figured out, though, that 1, 000 words a day isn't enough. 2,000 a day would put me at 60,000 words. And I've been wondering if I can DO 2,000 words a day? Can I pull that off? With school? Yes, probably. Maybe.

I have been unsuccessful in roping anyone into doing this with me...which is kind of sad, but it's still going to be loads of fun!
You should check out the website. It's in my links too.
Anna

6 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

I'll join! I'll try to do it too--Do we readers of your blog get to read what you write, or at least little bits of it?
I've never done NaNoWriMo either, actually, but I'd love to try. November, yeh? It'll give me a little time to plan . . .

Anna said...

Excellent!

And I don't know. Even if nobody gets to read it during November, I'll probably put up something later, after it's been cleaned up some. It'll be truly awful, the first time 'round, if I know anything about the first drafts I've written before....

Brian said...

I'm already signed up! I tried it last November and didn't get very far. I'm determined to do better this year!

Anna said...

I seriously hope I get to 50,000....

Rebecca said...

Good luck with your first year of NaNoWriMo! This is my second year and, like you, am having some trouble deciding which idea to pursue. But at least we've got ideas, right?

Oh, and I love the Tolkien quote!

Anna said...

Thanks Rebecca! Yes, I'm getting really excited. And I think in a day or two I'll start panicking...I think I've decided roughly on the idea, but I haven't written down any notes for it since I've decided! I have some old stuff, but I'm not going to use it if I can help it, cause the site says that you aren't supposed to...