Friday, October 9, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Write a Better Novel

Fiction Matters


For writers that are participating in NaNoWriMo this year, these blog posts are worth checking out.

The Fiction Matters post discusses making writing a habit, and how much to write, and stuff like that. For myself, I have to say that I set myself I high goal (which I have not been doing the past few weeks, but I'm starting to try to get back into it. Over about two weeks or so, maybe two and a half, I reached five completed chapters. I know, that doesn't sound like a whole lot, but I also got about three quarters or two thirds of an extremely long chapter done. Granted, some of those days I would copy and past some material from my previous draft that I still wanted in there, but I felt like I was doing pretty well, with that resource and just with rewriting so much.

Basically, you have to set yourself a goal every day, a goal that you think you can reach, or know you can reach. I know that I can reach 2000 words a day, even though I'm going to sweat a little on the days when I have cough all that up fresh without anything from an old draft. It's not really easy though. It's a challenge to do that, but I still can, and this way my book grows a whole lot faster than just writing randomly whenever I feel like it. If I force myself, I get in the mood, and even if what I write is really awful, I still have it there. I can refine or rewrite or cut it later; there might be a few golden lines of dialogue. And I don't always write a bunch of junk, a lot of the time, I get stuff I'm really pleased with! But I think I'll get lots of junk when I do NaNoWriMo, because there's no way I can know the characters as well as the ones from my current book, which I've been working on and changing and rewriting for three or four years. The point of NaNoWriMo isn't to write Pulitzer Prize winning stuff though. It's just to write 50,000 words, no matter how bad they are. It'll still make your writing better. Writing every day makes your writing better, which is why I need to go back to my 2000 words a day on my book until November gets here, and then I'll do 2000 words a day on the NaNoWriMo book.

Sorry, these thoughts are random, scattered, and unorganized. Just pretend like it's good stuff that helps! :D
Anna

3 comments:

Bradley Robb said...

Hi Anna,

Glad to see the bit of advice helped you and 2000 words a day is an awesome goal.

Best of luck in the upcoming NaNoWriMo.

-Bradley

Anna said...

Thanks!

Bradley Robb said...

You're welcome!