Friday, November 27, 2009

A NaNoWriMo technique

Okay, so NaNoWriMo is bearing down on us. I'm safe; I'm 10,000 words past the required word count. (YAY!!!!!) And very excited, but I still have a problem; the book isn't finished.

It might take another thirty thousand words to get it finished, maybe another fifty thousand, even!

The creators of NaNoWriMo recommend having the novel, for all practical purposes, finished by the end of November. Write the end, write the crucial scenes between the end and what you've got. You can go back and connect them later.

When I found this out, I created an outline of stuff that needed to happen by the end of the novel and filched about a third of my old draft from when I actually started working on this idea. I'm not sure when it hit me that I couldn't possibly write all of that by the end of the month, or if I knew before I made the outline, but later I went in and highlighted important scenes that I could connect later.

Yesterday I went in and highlighted the most crucial scenes so that I could just write those and work on the other ones later, and then I highlighted stuff I had already written (I'm a little past writing them in order now; yesterday I wrote the last scene in the book, and I'm working on one of the less important events, still, but after that I can concentrate on the crucial ones.

I found the highlighting and outline really helpful. I used gray for the important scenes, yellow for the crucial scenes, and green for the scenes that I've already written. It helps me stay organized. So, if you're struggling to get to the end, writing out of order might help, if you have a rough outline and highlight it. :) Just an idea. It helps me.

No comments: