Monday, December 21, 2009

Amused, not ashamed

Alright, so, I was just looking at this tremendous chapter that I've been working on in the second segment of my book - the book, book, not the nanowrimo book - and I realized that I wrote it wrong.

My book - Bumping Midnight, let's call it by its title - is different from my NaNoWriMo book. The Great Elation I wrote in 'omniscient prose' which all of you can recognize in the Harry Potter books. Unlike the Harry Potter books, I used this omniscient prose for more than one or two characters - I have a lot of characters. Maybe that's a bad thing. Maybe it'll overflow with characters and their quirks - or characters and their boringness for being shallow and undeveloped, but that's not the point. In my Bumping Midnight book, I write two characters in 1st person, and so far two characters in the omniscent prose thing. It really depends on the character, which one works best - and for the Great Elation, the omniscent prose works best for everyone. I tried to do 1st person for my 'me character' but she wasn't having it. She wanted omniscent prose, so I changed in the middle of her first chapter. But in my Bumping Midnight book, each character sort of has a preference.

Well, I was looking at Chapter Twelve, and I wrote North Kitt, which is usually a 1st person narrative, in omniscent prose narrative. I'm not sure why I did this. I had no idea that I was doing it wrong until just now, and it's turning into a long chapter, so I'm not going to go back and redo it. However, North seems to like being written in both, so that's okay, even though eventually I'll have to go back and completely redo the chapter. I guess that's alright. But it's funny that I've been working on and off that chapter for nearly a week and just now noticed. Does anyone else do stuff like that? Stuff like writing a book, and you're writing comfortably with this one character and one chapter and it's going great, and then you realized that even though the content of the chapter is great that you wrote the prose wrong?

I'm not ashamed, just amused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.