Friday, March 26, 2010

Reads. Yes, I am actually posting my reads. Try not to faint.


I am finally posting my reads of this year! The count is horribly low. :P But I'm still posting them, and hopefully someone will profit from them in some, small, irrelevant way. Or a great big relevant way. Whatever works.
January:

1. Star Trek 1 by James Blish
I love these. Only a Trekkie would, though - these are novelizations of the original series episodes. They're just fun to read. Plus, you'll get facts you didn't know existed, occasionally, and inconsistencies, which are fun to find. (At one point Spock talks about a moon - but Vulcan doesn't have one. ;) ) I can't remember all the stories included in this book, but they aren't in the order of which they were aired.

2. Star Trek 2 by James Blish
Same goes for what I said up there - another thing about them is that since they aren't chronological, you can skip around and read them in whatever order you want to. :) I got a set of five of these for Christmas, in this cool box. It's very pretty.
3. Star Wars by George Lucas
This was brilliant! George Lucas's novelization of the movie - and it's also different. It has a lot of stuff about Luke that wasn't in the movie, and that was great to read. And I love reading all the technical terms. It's good education for a budding science fiction writer. I'm going to continue on and read the novelizations of The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi - then I might turn around and read the prequel trilogy, too. :)
4. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson
Hysterical! I love this book! I've bought the sequel, but I haven't read it yet. I'm letting my friend read it first because I already have a gazillion things to read. I'm not really exaggerating that much. ;) This book was funny, creative, original...but especially funny. And creative. And original. From the Fangs of Dang to Podo the Sockman, the book offered very nice fantasy in Tolkien-esque terms. I think the sequel will be even better. It also had a great ending (I saw it coming - but what can I say. I see stuff coming a lot.) I also collected a few quotes from it. :D
5. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney
A more serious book. I liked this. It was very good, and I enjoyed reading it a lot! It occupied my time every morning for awhile. :)

February: 1. Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell
Okay, this could have been sooo good. It was so creative, and original, and so vivid, but....the writing was lacking. And sometimes, bizarre creatures, when they come one after the other and are just gross in a boring way...well, it gets old. I was ready to be finished with it. I won't be going back for more.
2. Star Trek 3 by James Blish
:)
3. A Praying Life by Paul Miller
Oh my goodness! This book was great! I'm going to read it again. I feel like I need to, to really help me get it. But it was so good. I read it hungrily.
March: 1. Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
I liked this, but it was still a little bit disappointing. I mean, I expected great things after reading The Inkheart Trilogy! This took a long time to read. And....*sigh* I was a bit bored. I'm not cutting the author at all. The Inkheart Trilogy is one of the most brilliant achievements ever. Especially the first two books.
2. The Prestige by Christopher Priest
Did this book deliver? Oh yes it did. But now how I expected. The POV sections of the book for Andrew Weston were lacking for me - I still liked them, and found the whole twin thing intriguing. The part I enjoyed the most was actually Rupert Angier's section - surprise, surprise! Borden has always been my favorite, but I'm liking Angier better for two reasons now: 1) I read his part in the book. I just like him. 2) I like Hugh Jackman better after seeing him in X-men and Australia. So here's my take: the book is very good. But sometimes, a brilliant idea goes astray. The movie brought it to its full potential. And I hate to say that. The books are *always* better. But I guess they aren't - because the movie is better. The plot of the movie is better. The characters in the movie are better. The ending in the movie is better. Therefore, I am going to watch it tonight.


My cuts for Books of the Month are:
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson
A Praying Life by Paul Miller
The Prestige by Christopher Priest. (I still really did like reading the book. A lot. Just... the movie is better. But the book pulls its own weight in value. Go ahead and read it. I was very impressed. The movie is better thought. That's all. Yes, I know I have repeated myself several times. It's called dry humor. I think. It might not be, but we'll pretend it is.)

Right now I'm reading Star Trek Academy by William Shatner. I love it! It just might be book of the month next month - or at least get an honorable mention. ;) I'll finish it this weekend for sure. I'm a little bit anxious, though - it was published in 2007. The sequel isn't out yet! Where is it?! Bill Shatner, you need to deliver.

March has been terribly lacking in reading! Blah! Well, I hope to boost that up soon over the next couple of months. But alas, Script Frenzy approaches. As does a ginormous, hopefully brilliant paper from writing class. And also hopefully the finished First Draft of my NaNo book. Don't worry; you will know about it when it is finished. My whole neighborhood might, actually. I might scream. Or attack my Dad with a hug that breaks his ribs...something. ;)

Anna

2 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

"Podo the Sockman"--What?? Lol, I am going to track down this book now, it sounds interesting. And your summary of the book 'The Prestige' vs. the film was spot-on, bravo. You managed to put into words what I thought upon finishing the book but wasn't able to nail down so precisely.
And I've never really considered reading Star Trek novelizations, but you make them sound so intriguing, so I suppose I'll hunt them down on my next library trip too!

Nice to read your book reviews again :)

Anna said...

Haha! You should definitely check out the book.

I realized that I got the name wrong, though: It's Pete the Sockman, although there is a character named Podo, who is an ex-pirate. :)