Monday, March 8, 2010

Recent Watches


1. Sherlock Holmes
I loved this. I went to see it in the theater twice. Robert Downy Jr. Is a brilliant actor, and I always like some Jude Law. The movie was funny, well done, and now I'm all psyched to read the novels/short stories. They're probably completely different from the movie, but I don't care. I've been curious for a long time, and want to read the entire collection over this year and maybe next year. When it comes out on DVD, this is a good one to get. To buy. And then watch multiple times.

2. Avatar
This one won't come out for awhile, but it's definitely worth a watch. The special affects and the music were both incredible, but it would have been better if they cut forty-five minutes. It was very long. But don't get me wrong, it was really good. But it's not the best movie ever. Sherlock Holmes was much better.

3. Secret Window
I always like me a Johnny Depp movie - and for some reason, I'm in a thriller mood. I blame it on Alfred Hitchcock. This weeks' Psych is going to have a lot of Hitchcock allusions in it, so I want to see Psycho before then so that I'll get it - and I always hear about that one...so when Psycho was unavailable to get on DVD (Dad isn't much for watching on the computer unless he has no choice) I got Secret Window instead. Mwhaha. Brilliant ending - I was disappointed in it, but not because it wasn't good. It just didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it was still really good, and surprisingly, the movie didn't bother me much. It was just...fun.

4. Empire of the Sun
Steven Spielberg and Christian Bale all in the same package?! Bring it on! I don't know why it took me so long to get to this one. I've wanted to see it for a long time, but I just never got it. However, Corinne (new friend :D ) was telling me how good it was the other day, so I think it was the first movie I got from Netflix afterwards. It was amazing. Christian Bale was a great actor even when he was thirteen. The soundtrack was great (John Williams, how could it NOT be great?!), the characters, plot and acting were all extremely engaging; the whole film was beautifully done and very artistic. New favorite. And like all Spielberg movies, it was a story told with wonder. So, the cuts for Recommended Movies o/ the Month are:

Sherlock Holmes
Secret Window
and
Empire of the Sun.

Empire of the Sun might be my favorite, but if it is, Sherlock Holmes is a close second.

2 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

I also loved 'Sherlock Holmes'! And do read the stories--yes, they're different, but they've been among my favorite reads for a long time. I enjoy both versions of the characters :D

And I've been interested in 'Empire of the Sun' and 'Secret Window' for a while now, so maybe I'll finally get around to renting them.

Anna said...

You should definitely get Empire of the Sun. Especially Empire of the Sun. :)