Sunday, March 14, 2010

Short Stories

I'm sleepy and cold, so this blog post will be short.

I want to get into short stories this year - as in, I want to read them and I want to write them.

Here's what I'm interested in:

Short stories that use the same characters over and over (like Sherlock Holmes)
Anything fantasy or sci-fi
Adventure/archeology type stuff
Any collection of short stories/vignettes/entries that are continuous and in the same book (parts of The Prestige are written in diary form)

But I'm also open to other things. Very open. Especially that stuff, but I want to read all kinds of short stories.

So if you are a lurker that rarely comments, now is the time to be heard! What are some of your favorite short stories or favorite writers of short stories? I like long comments. So leave long lists.

Anna

2 comments:

Mythopoeia said...

I post comments a lot, but I'll post anyway because I'm a book person :)

And I like short stories :)

*Sherlock Holmes is a must.
*I hear the Father Brown mysteries by GK Chesterton are also good. I haven't read them yet, but I love anything by Chesterton, so I feel good about recommending them anyway.
*The Martian Chronicles.
*The Illustrated Man.
*I, Robot.
*Tales from Watership Down is like a sequel of sorts to WD, but formatted like a collection of short stories.
*Whatever collection of short stories that had "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov in it. One of the best short stories ever.
*Fire and Ice by Ray Bradbury.
*The Poet and the Lunatics by GK Chesterton--The protagonist of all the short stories is the poet-detective Gabriel Gale, an absolutely lovable character
*All Creatures Great and Small
*All Things Bright and Beautiful (And then watch the tv series with Peter Davison)
*The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is written in diary form, I think . . . I'm not sure. It was a good book, though.

Hope at least a couple of those titles are interesting to you ^_^

Anna said...

Thank you! What an excellent, long list! And all of those sound interesting to me. I've already read The Martian Chronicles - I thought it was great! And of course I meant that ANYONE could post a comment - I just wanted to make the lurkers feel obligated. :D Thanks for the list! Can't wait to read some!