Monday, June 14, 2010

Reads. Every three months is becoming a bad habit.....there might be four read posts this year. O.o


March:

1. Star Trek Academy by William Shatner

I really did enjoy this a lot. It made me laugh, it was interesting, and it was a fun couple of weeks. (Lazy reader this year.) I found out that Shatner is not planning a sequel, because this one did not do well. That's disappointing. I'll be returning for more, though - he's written other Star Trek novels about Kirk. I strongly recommend it for Trekkies.

April:

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

These are books that I think I'm going to end up re-reading through every two years. Last year I read the last four, because I had read the first three the year before that. I love J.K. Rowling. Wish she would give me some of that writing talent...

2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
I, of course, read the second one after wards. I actually really like the second one, and I collected fun quotes from each of the books this time, but I won't post them just now. Lockhart is funny.

3. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare


My first full introduction to Shakespeare's pure genius! I loved it. I took lots of notes, collected quotes, and thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to his works. I read the whole thing in a single day - I was traveling all day via plane with my brother, so when I wasn't talking to him or rushing through a random airport somewhere, I was reading. I also discovered where the whole 'greatness' speech came from.

...Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
- William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

:D It was fun to find that. I used a 'Shakespeare Made Easy' copy, so it was fun to see how everything translated (partly because some of it is funnier in modern English, some of it was just jibberish to me.)

May:

1. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I enjoyed this. Such a fresh, new take on fantasy. Very dark, but it was refreshing. but it had such an excellent ending! I was drawn into the characters - Richard and Door immediately, the marchis de Carabis more slowly. I really did not like Hunter at all. I did like Anaethesia - or however you spell her name - and I was sorry that she never appeared again. I was misled on something by the summary on the back cover, but since it did not happen the way I thought it would, it combined with another idea to form a short story idea, so I'm quite happy about that. :)

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


I started this expecting it to be fairly good. I was wrong. It was thumping brilliant. I loved it. The style is extremely unique - written in first person present, and occasionally dropping into first person past when the main character, Katniss, was remembering something. The psychology of this character is excellent, the imagination of the author better. It's a jewel in the world of mediocre teen novels. It's romance, adventure, post -apocolypse and science fiction all rolled into one with brilliantly developed characters. I. Loved. It.

3. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The sequel to the Hunger Games might have been better than the first - I was already attached to the characters, and I am know furiously voting for Peeta. Katniss had better not disappoint me. All of the characters are done so well...Finnick makes me laugh. More brilliance.

4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


I loved this one! I liked it a lot better than Twelfth Night, possibly because I was able to watch an extremely well done movie adaption starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. It has some fast-forward scenes in it and a bit of irritating crude humor, but all the acting was superb. The soundtrack made the movie - it was brilliant. Oh, and weird thing: Michael from Lost was Mercutio! He was great. A very far cry from Michael. The guy is a great actor.

For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

5. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

Reread this in preparation for the movie. I forgot how much I hated Jacob at the end. Jerk. He was so much better in New Moon. Bella really made me mad too, though. Half of it was her fault.

June:
1. A Praying Life by Paul Miller

I reread this book again - this has got to be the best book I have ever read concerning the spiritual Christian life or theology. I love it. Such a big help. I think I'll be returning to it another two or three times this year. Every page has got gold on it.

2. Tea with Hezbollah by Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis


The first Dekker book I've read this year - wonderful. Emotionally moving, and extremely thought provoking. Anyone interested in the Middle East, The Good Samaritan, modern parables and Jesus' greatest commandment should think about reading this. It's a challenging book. Wonderful.

3. Perelandra by C.S. Lewis


I reread Perelandra for the second time picked up on a ton of things that I missed the last time around - the psychology/thought process of Ransom is phenomenal, as is the logic that Lewis uses in which to build his fantasy world of planets, which include eldila and Oyarsa. It is very difficult to keep straight that it's fiction - the way he explains all of it makes so much sense. The book is an excellent science fiction/fantasy story with great theology elements. Now I've got That Hideous Strength to look forward to reading...for the first time. Never read it. :)

4. Star Trek 4 by James Blish

This was pleasant and fun. It made me eager to go watch some of the episodes that I have not seen in a while - specifically The Enterprise Incident and Devil in the Dark, both of which were novelized in this one.

That's all, for now - I'm still working on other books, and will hopefully post reads more frequently now. I'm reading The Making of Star Trek right now. Can't remember the author's name. Stephen Whitfield maybe?

Anywho.

Cuts for recommended books of the month are:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (and the sequel)
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Tea with Hezbollah by Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis

No comments: